• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Fine adjustment mode for sliders

Community Beginner ,
Jun 18, 2022 Jun 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When moving any adjustment slider it would be useful to have a method of moving the slider in a more accurate or slower way. This feature would be similar to the hue "fine adjustments" toggle in the mask / colour mode. However, I imagine a more unified integration without any additional toggle. I have come up with a few ideas in which this could be achieved.

Option 1: The artist would touch the slider knob and hold still for ca. 3 seconds. Then the slider would go into accuracy mode. If the slider is moved in under 3 seconds it would simply stay in the classic slide mode. 

Option 2: The artist would double tab the knob slider to activate accuracy mode. 
Option 3: The accuracy mode could be linked to slider acceleration. Similar to a desktop cursor. This way the slower a user moves the less units will be adjusted. 

My favourite is probably option 1 because I imagine most of the time you'd want to adjust quickly and roughly but occasionally you'd need the extra accuracy and therefore the little wait would be acceptable. Perhaps the knob could get a small clock spin to indicate the activation. Similar how it is done in many video games where delays are used. 

In all 3 scenarios accuracy mode would mean that the slidable area will expand past the current slider location. I imagine this could be done invisibly since most people focus on the image while adjusting. However, a ghost slider might also be a possibility. I.e. the current menu would fade out and a single translucent slider would spread across perhaps 80% of the screen. 

Perhaps some of the options reflect accessibility issues and therefore it would be ideal to have more than one option and let the use set their own preferences.

This solution would increase my productivity, improve the quality of my output and also make Lightroom more accessible. I mostly struggle to adjust the white balance since it's such a sensitive slider but there are several other values where it's hard to hit the right values. When editing many photos this usually means constant back and forth on a slider until I hit the right value. I basically press the finger down and barely move it a mm to make a crucial change. Often I resort to copying something that's "close enough" to other images but then I wouldn't do any micro adjustment because I feel that if I touch that slider it will just make it worse again. Obviously I can tidy up these issue when I am back in Lightroom Classic but It would be nice if this step could be completed in the app since I overall enjoy working in it a lot more than on my PC. 

Idea No status
TOPICS
iPadOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
6 Comments
Community Expert ,
Jun 19, 2022 Jun 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Click in the value next to the slider, so the field is selected. Now you can make small adjustments by using the Up and Down cursor keys. It may not be fine enough to your liking (Exposure will increase/decrease with 0.1 steps, for example), but I think it works quite well.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Johan,

Thanks for your response.  Are you referring to the desktop application or using the iPad with a keyboard. I added the idea to the iPad topic and added iPadOS to the subject but it somehow got cut. 

I was raising this idea specifically for standard iPad use without any accessories. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, I was thinking about the desktop app. For the iPad you obviously need a keyboard in order to be able to do this (and I have no idea if it works on the iPad).

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Jun 20, 2022 Jun 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Grab the slider handle as if you're going to move left<>right, but drag up<>down the screen instead. It'll move in slower increments.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Victoria Bampton LR Queen ,

Thank you for your reply. However, I cannot replicate this. I have actually tried that before posting and have just re-tested it. My app versions are Lightroom 7.4.1 / iPadOS 15.5.

If I simply touch and move up and down the control interface starts to scroll. The only way to activate the slider is to first move slightly to the right or left. However, even moving up and down at that stage has no action.

I actually didn't post this method as an idea because I feared it might interrupt the scrolling. But I now realise there is a small-time threshold before the slider activates. So it could work too I guess.

@JohanElzenga - no worries - appreciate the response. No idea why the forum cut my iPad: to P: though 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Doh, you're right, that must have got dropped when the UI got updated. It used to work!

Votes

Translate

Translate