Add multiple lines to Title and Caption fields

Idea No status
TOPICS
Android , Chrome OS , iOS: iPhone , iPadOS , macOS , Web , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
20 Comments
Enthusiast ,
Feb 08, 2018 Feb 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Like this? 
Or would you like it to be different?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this possible in Lightroom CC, or is it only possible in Lightroom Classic?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is Lightroom Classic. Would you like it to look like this where it is a completely separate panel layout or do you just want the Caption field in CC to be bigger?  

It is a good idea, we just need to let the team know if we want it like Lightroom Classic or something different. 

I gave it a vote anyway but I would prefer to see it just larger rather than a separate like in LR Classic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see. Well, the problem with the Lightroom CC Caption field is that I have to write my longer captions in Notes and then copy/paste them into the Caption field. It's especially difficult to edit the captions when in the Caption field. So I guess both solutions (expanding the existing field by dragging a corner, or having a separate panel) would work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Regardless, I will continue to write captions in notes - until Lightroom Classic or CC gets spell checking in the caption field, it is kind of a moot point.  Without Spell Check, I don't trust writing Kaptions...

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
May 03, 2018 May 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One of the only things I hate about Lightroom CC is that the Caption field is just one line tall. One line is okay for Title, but captions can sometimes be a sentence or two (or longer) and that field really needs to be at least three lines tall.

Otherwise I really like the kinda-new LRCC!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Feb 04, 2019 Feb 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd really love to see the LRCC desktop caption box developed like the one in classic. I'd often put long captions in when using classic and it's a really difficult at the moment in CC desktop. Would love spell check too! in the mean time, I'm brushing up on my spelling as I go 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Apr 22, 2019 Apr 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Lightroom Classic CC the Caption field allows multiple lines. In Adobe Bridge you see this field as Description under IPTC Core. Similarly this appear as Description in Photoshop under File Info. In both Bridge and PhotoShop these fields are multiline.

But in Lightroom CC, desktop, mobile and web version, this field appear as single line only.

1. Is there a way to make this field multline in Lightroom CC?
  2. If not - why is there inconsistency across the product line for this?

I had planned to be able to use my Laptop or Mobile to add information to family photos while out in the field. But the single-line restriction in Lightroom CC makes this impossible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Present Caption box is not friendly. Suggest to improve caption entry box to support multiple lines instead of a single line.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks like Adobe is working on this problem and has made some useful changes.

I just realized that the caption field in my web browser will expand automatically if I type more than one line's worth of text into it. I'm seeing some display problems with this expanded field, not sure why. My browser's zoom is set to normal (100%). Perhaps it's due to my Windows 10 display being set to 125%. Still, this is a big improvement.

Initially, when I was testing just now and clicked into the caption field, I saw some sort of widget thing appear and I could grab it and drag the field to enlarge it--before I typed anything. I see the same thing now in the Title field (right above Caption). But after typing a multi-line caption, then clearing the field, I can no longer find that grabber widget. So I get sense that the feature isn't completely debugged. But as I said, big improvement.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Apr 23, 2019 Apr 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's interesting - I can also copy-paste multi-line text into the field when using the browser version. So that's working. But I cannot enter a new line via the keyboard. In this case it would be nice if Return didn't exit the input mode. Or, at least have a Shift+Return option  - but even that gets tedious in the long run when you're entering information on a large number of photos.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Apr 24, 2019 Apr 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I didn't paste that text into the field, I typed it. When I got to the end of the first line and started typing the next word, the miracle of word wrap occurred--and kept occurring as I got to the end of the second and subsequent lines. I just tested it again in Firefox Quantum 66.0.3 (64-bit) for Windows and it works fine. This time I even see the grab triangle in the lower right corner, which is nice to have.

I've tested in a couple of browsers under Windows 10 and it seems to be working everywhere, including Edge Dev (the preview version of the new Microsoft Edge browser for Windows that's based on Chromium).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jun 02, 2019 Jun 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there any progress on this feature request? The tiny box provided in LR CC desktop makes writing and editing long captions difficult. The caption box such as the one provided in Lightroom Classic would be ideal.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jun 03, 2019 Jun 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed. My personal view is the caption box should expand as required up to a maximum size (where it still will allow scrolling of course!).

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jun 03, 2019 Jun 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To clarify, everyone in this topic is talking about Lightroom CC, the "new" cloud-focused version, not Lightroom Classic (the "old" desktop-focused version).  There was some confusion this morning, and after conferring with the other moderator, I've changed the title of this post and the categories appropriately.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jul 26, 2019 Jul 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I absolutely agree. Single line captions in LRCC are very annoying since I write comprehensive captions in Classic and then have great difficulty seeing them in LRCC. Why is it so hard to provide the same multi-line box as in Classic?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Aug 05, 2019 Aug 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a major problem with LR CC Mobile. I have many historical family photos which have a lot of multi-line important information manually added in the CAPTION field, such as names of people, and date and location of the photos. This information shows up well in the multi-line box in Classic, and also shows up in MacOS LR CC by hovering the mouse over the field. However, in LR CC Mobile, only a single line can be shown in the COMMENT field, and attempts to scroll and read only bring up the keyboard. This is extremely dangerous since it becomes very easy to accidentally change or even completely delete the information, which will then sync and destroy forever the information back in LR Classic.

All that is needed is to make the TITLE and COMMENT fields in LR Mobile (and MacOS LR CC), multi-line boxes as they are in LR Classic. All the information could then be seen at a glance while still allowing controlled input of text if required. Provision for the LABEL field would also be very useful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 04, 2019 Nov 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hadn't noticed someone had already logged this so added ny vote. Adobe are so slow to bring out updates. This has been open for 2 years!  What are we paying monthly sub for?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 20, 2021 Feb 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Come on Adobe... Is it so hard to introduce this change.... Been years waiting now.  This is my No.1 change request and you're letting us down.

Whats the latest status on this Adobe? You can do it on the web version so why not the App? Please update us. 

Thanks. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 05, 2021 Apr 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I would like to see Adobe have some consistency across LR Classic, LR CC and Bridge with the way they handle key metadata items, such as those many people refer to as "Title" and "Caption".  They should have the same field name across products, incorporate the most supported IPTC/XMP fields and be easy to view when also viewing a photo at full or near full screen size.  I have been disappointed that many photo viewing apps outside of Adobe do not support displaying "Title" easily.  I still have not figured out how to customize Bridge to display the Title and Caption above and below my photo when I am viewing them in near full screen mode (as Flickr does)  Isn't this something that should be better supported?  

Votes

Translate

Translate