• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom Mobile: catalog problems

Community Beginner ,
Jul 15, 2019 Jul 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone, I've already reached out to Adobe via Live Chat but they were less than helpful, repeating the same redundant information and refuting that Lightroom Mobile uses catalogs so I'm reaching out to the forum... any help is greatly appreciated.

I've been using Lightroom Mobile for 2 years (iOS on an iPhone 8), I have 2.5 GB worth of photos, all with edits. I have been using it as free software all that time, signed in with my Adobe ID and backed up to iCloud.

2 days ago I decided to sign-up to the CC Photography Plan, I did this online and installed Lightroom CC as prompted; the software launched automatically and created a new catalog on my Mac which was empty.

I launched Lightroom Mobile in order to sync my 2.5 GB library. Upon opening it asked me to sign in... ? So I signed in with my Adobe ID (again, I only have the one) and was presented with ZERO photos!! And as far as Lightroom is concerned, that's that.

I have been able to backup my original Lightroom Mobile catalog/library via iTunes but cannot find a way to get that catalog restored. I have a Managed Catalog file and all of the Original Files, however whilst I can import the DNGs into Lightroom Classic... none of the edits are applied (presumeably these are stored in the .mcat file?).

I have uninstalled Lightroom Mobile, deleting all files with it. Installed a fresh copy from the App Store, transferred the Library back to my iPhone, then launched but still Lightroom Mobile refuses to recognise the Catalog/Library and all of the DNGs.

Can anybody suggest a way to get the photos and edits back into Lightroom? Be it CC, Mobile or Classic? I'm relieved to have the DNGs but I really want the edits restored. Adobe's "help" was nonexistant, I basically pulled my hair out for 2 hours and having spent all of yesterday troubleshooting, I'm left thinking that Lightroom CC simply isn't designed to let me fix this issue*.

If anybody from Adobe is reading, I can upload the backed up folder to Dropbox or wherever IF you can restore somehow?

*I'm guessing that the issue stems from Lightroom CC installing and then launching on my Mac, creating a new (empty) catalog. But why doesn't Lightroom Mobile ask to merge what's already on the phone? Ridiculous behaviour!!

Cheers,

Tom.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Jul 19, 2019 Jul 19, 2019

To complete the thread, despite having a carbon copy of my original library and catalog... Adobe cannot do anything and Lightroom Classic / CC / Mobile isn't designed in such a way that the user can. So that's 2 years of work gone in the blink of an eye, and all part of a paid upgrade!

A terrible learning experience that culminates in me not being able to trust Lightroom with my photos. So I think that that's that for myself and Adobe. A seemingly spectacular failure of programming and design.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Tom, I think this is due to the fact that the free version stores everything within the app and not in the cloud. I would have thought there should be a way to sync everything from the phone to the cloud when upgrading. If you click on the cloud icon (top-right on the phone) does it show the status as paused?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jon, thanks for taking the time to answer.

Yes the free version stores everything locally but I was expecting, reasonably I thought, that when upgrading (using the same Adobe ID), that my existing Lightroom Mobile catalog would be uploaded to the "cloud." Rather than simply deleted.

Right now Lightroom Mobile will only open the catalog that was automatically created on my Mac (upon installing Lightroom CC), which is totally disconnected from the existing catalog on my phone with 2.5 GB of photos. Both use the same Adobe ID so I cannot switch between the 2

So sync status doesn't matter because as far as Lightroom Mobile is concerned, the original catalog doesn't exist. Despite it still being on the iPhone. No versions of Lightroom will import the Lightroom Mobile .mcat file so I've hit a dead end.

It appears to be a glaring fault in the CC upgrade process and makes me wary of using Adobe CC in the future.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hopefully a member of staff can suggest a workaround. I will also flag this for Adobe’s  Guido greule as he has a comprehensive knowledge of the mobile side.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moved from Lightroom to Mobile & Apple TV forum

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Jon, much appreciated. I'm at the point where I think that it can only be resolved on the Adobe side but maybe I've missed something... we'll see. Cheers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Tom. I've just send you a private message with some instructions. Hope this helps - Guido/ Lr Mobile QE

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 18, 2019 Jul 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to update the thread, Guido is being extremely helpful and working with me to restore my catalog. At the moment I have my iCloud recovered 2.5 GB library uploaded to the CC which in turn means that I have them back on my phone. Unfortunately I still see no way of getting my edits back as they are contained in an Lr Mobile "managed catalog" that Lightroom CC/Classic/Mobile all refuse to read.

I have uploaded the catalog to Dropbox and am hoping that Adobe can do something server side as Lightroom simply is not designed to allow a user to fix this issue.

To summarise:

If you have an Lr Mobile catalog and library using the "free-mode," DO NOT subscribe to a Creative Cloud plan on a different device! You risk loosing access to that catalog and there's seemingly no way to restore it. I would hope that if you subscribe through Lr Mobile, it will upgrade the catalog rather than delete it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 19, 2019 Jul 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

To complete the thread, despite having a carbon copy of my original library and catalog... Adobe cannot do anything and Lightroom Classic / CC / Mobile isn't designed in such a way that the user can. So that's 2 years of work gone in the blink of an eye, and all part of a paid upgrade!

A terrible learning experience that culminates in me not being able to trust Lightroom with my photos. So I think that that's that for myself and Adobe. A seemingly spectacular failure of programming and design.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines