The performance of my android 3.5.1 LR CC app degrades over time to the point that I need to remove and reinstall the LR app to make it "usable" for editing off-line images.
By degrades, I mean
1) App startup time increases from sub 30 seconds to 2 minutes plus.
2) Loading an editable images details, even locally stored, takes much longer to about a minute or two or sometime more. This includes exposure and crop details.
3) Syncing locally stored images goes from fairly quick (a few a second) to two plus minutes per image.
4) Regeneration of preview images after editing starts to lag so badly that sometimes I am not sure if changes were saved or not.
5) Filtering also starts to slow down, like when I want to look at only 3-star images.
I have tried other solutions to address the performance issue, like removing the locally stored images and then re-loading them. I have also tried clearing out the local cache, all to no avail. Only thing that has worked is to blow everything away and start anew about once a month, which I sure you agree is a real bummer (never mind the 3-4 hours to reload everything – luckily, I have a fast Wi-Fi connection at work).
To my professional eye (I’m a computer DB guy during the day), the fact that when I first load the images and things move right along, and then over time, as more edits are made and synced, and everything becomes sluggish, seems like an index optimization issue. It would be easy to blame the hardware, but if it fast at the beginning, and after a lot of edits, and no other changes in either HW or environment, I don’t think so.
It would be nice if the good folks at Adobe would include a catalog optimization function in the Mobile version, like the one in the Desktop version (Hint, hint).
While waiting for that feature, any other suggestions on how else to address this performance issue?
I do a lot of off-line editing as I commute by rail to and from work. I am using LR app version 3.5.1(x86). I have 25K images in the android catalog, of which about 5K are locally stored. The app uses about 10GB of my 64gb SD card, which is mostly empty. My tablet is an ASUS P01M running Android 6.01 with 2GB of Ram. Not sure that it matters, but I have the latest LR classic running on the desktop.