• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Direct import from SD card: How is this different than via "Files"?

Community Beginner ,
Jan 02, 2020 Jan 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So the most recent update allows for direct import of RAW files from an SD card. The announcement on the blog says this allows for bypassing the camera roll for the first time. 

What I don't understand is that I was able to import directly from an SD card before the update (without going through the camera roll) by using "add photos -> from files" and then selecting my card reader. So how is the feature new? (Yes, it's new with ipad OS, but not with the last Lightroom update from my perspective)

I guess importing "from Camera roll" has some advantages, but are those documented somewhere? The official reason (avoid the camera roll) obviously isn't that accurate.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Importing from Files is new, and only recently enabled with iPadOS 13. 

Previously, there was no ability to import from anywhere expect the camera roll (on iOS). So you had to import twice x once from card to camera roll, then from camera roll to Lightroom. This left you with 2 copies of everything (and was a bandwidth nightmare when bot iOS Photos and Lightroom we're trying to sync full size originals at the same time). 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm aware of that, I'm not talking about historic versions. I specifically mentioned that I know that this functionality is new with iPad OS. 

However, the "direct import" is mentioned as a new feature for the December release, and since I was able to import directly using the Files app before the December release, my question is: Why, and how is it different to doing it via "Files"?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your experience may be different from mine, but before the December release, I could use the "import from Files" feature, but I could not see any attached SD card or any other external device. I was limited only to existing Files cloud locations (like OneDrive, Dropbox, or Google Drive).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I only got the iPad pro at the end of November, but I know for a fact that I could import from SD cards in the timeframe before the release. I actually have witnesses for that as I did it after a photo walk in a coffee shop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines