• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Direct import on mobile cancellation is broken by design

Explorer ,
Apr 21, 2020 Apr 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So the other day I shot some photos around the house (covid natch) and I noticed that after I imported and deleted my photos from my SD card that Lightroom showed an "import" task ongoing in the cloud sync section. It seemed to be taking a long time, and perhaps be queued behind an upload task.

Interestingly "import" had an cancel X button. I was irresistably drawn to understand what this button does, so I pressed it.

What it does is it throws away your import without asking you anything.

Come on, Adobe, why is there a new data-loss-causing UI button? At least add a confirm, at best consider just removing this weird option which is AFAIK unlike any other in the mobile UI.

Processing HDR or long exposure photos is a background task that can take a long time as well. Did you ever consider adding a cancel X to these operations that just throws away the photos that the user took?

I get that there are some challenges in porting long-running background work to the mobile environment but there's no excuse for an obscure UI element that can cause immediate data loss. Somehow, by hook or crook you need to make the import process "done" (as far as data loss is concerned) after the original modal UI finishes.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 21, 2020 Apr 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Daniel

Thanks for taking the time to post this feedback.  You make some good points.  I'll log a bug asking the developers asking if we can at least pop up a warning message.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 23, 2020 Apr 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again Daniel

This should be fixed in our next app release.  Thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 24, 2020 Apr 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Will the fix possibly also clear out my issue with pending uploads stuck on 10? I made a separate post about this, new photos are "syncing around" the 10 that appear to be stuck. The stuck pending uploads probably happened right after I canceled an import so maybe it's related? Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 24, 2020 Apr 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Daniel, I'm not certain, but it could be related.  One thing you could try is to sign into your account in a web browser at lightroom.adobe.com.  In the left panel, stuck images might be listed in a special album which if I recall correctly is called Sync Issues--this only shows when the account has stuck assets.  If you do have troubled assets listed there, the details shown under each image probably indicate which device imported the images -- you could confirm these come from your iOS device.  Hope this helps a bit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 27, 2020 Apr 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't see a sync issues album on the web. I don't think the "stuckage" from my phone is getting to the cloud in any form.

My tentative conclusions are

1. My iphone LR is borked because of the import cancel, which I'd previously thought was just a UI bug, but appears to be a real bug with catalog impact.

2. We need "sync issues" albums or similar troubleshooting features on mobile.

3. I'm going to see if the next update fixes it, then I'll go to uninstall-reinstall on the phone.

Thanks for the responses, Charlie.

Now I'm just going to impose, and ask if there's any chance you can help with my other issue regarding my cloud storage being messed up.

I've just added a picture here. The the app clearly says I'm using 522% of my storage 😞 and has done so for YEARS now.

https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-rush/rush-storage-mess/m-p/10151890?page=1#M303

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 27, 2020 Apr 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If Lightroom Web doesn't show any assets with sync troubles, then I agree this problem is likely just on the local app/database as you said.  The fix we have in the works will help avoid this problem going forward, but isn't likely going to help recover the missing images.  To clear this problem, I myself would try uninstall/reinstall that you mentioned.  BEFORE you do that, let me suggest a few things...

1. I urge you to first backup your device using iTunes or iCloud Backup.

2. Does this advice allow you to recover any files: https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/kb/recover-lightroom-mobile-photos-itunes-file-sharing.htm...

3. Before uninstalling, please follow Step 4 advice here: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201398

iPhone, iPad, iPod touch: Open the Settings app. Tap General, then tap iPhone Storage (or iPad Storage). Tap the affected app, then tap Offload app. Tap Offload app again. Wait a moment for the app to offload, then tap Reinstall App.

Your suggestion in point #2 about iOS having the same "sync issues" album as LR Web to make troubleshooting in the app easier is a good one.  I added this to the developer backlog.

Unfortunately, I can't help with your Rush question.  I work on the Lightroom team and I'm not familiar enough with Rush to offer any advice on that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines