• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Editing iPhone photos taken in Portrait Mode. Bug?

Sep 07, 2018 Sep 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have an iPhone 7 Plus with iOS 11.

Whenever I take a photo using the portrait mode and edit it with Lightroom Mobile, the “portrait” tag disappear and the photo is moved to the regular pictures album. The depth effect is still visible in the photo.

Is it a bug?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Sep 10, 2018 Sep 10, 2018

Hi andreboso,

Sorry that you're having issues managing your portrait shots in Lightroom CC mobile app on your iPhone.

Lightroom do not categories images as per the camera mode they were captured in. As Mike mentioned above, your edited images are saved into the camera roll directly irrespective of the albums they were sorted in the Photos app.

However, We'd love to get this feedback submitted officially as a feature request so the engineering team can look into this behavior.  Could you please post

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Andre,

I suspect this is an iOS feature and doesn't have anything to do with Lightroom. Importing a photo into LR creates a copy, and saving that copy from Lightroom back to the camera roll automatically places it in the camera roll, not an album.

Just to help diagnose this, can you provide some detail around your workflow? How do you get the photos into Lightroom, and how do you get them back out?

Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mike,

I believe it’s a Lightroom Mobile bug because when I edit the photo with Snapseed I don’t have this problem (when I save the edited photo it goes back into the portrait album and with the portrait tag appearing at the top of the photo).

My workflow is pretty simple, I open Lightroom Mobile, select a photo, edit the photo and then save it to camera roll.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi andreboso,

Sorry that you're having issues managing your portrait shots in Lightroom CC mobile app on your iPhone.

Lightroom do not categories images as per the camera mode they were captured in. As Mike mentioned above, your edited images are saved into the camera roll directly irrespective of the albums they were sorted in the Photos app.

However, We'd love to get this feedback submitted officially as a feature request so the engineering team can look into this behavior.  Could you please post this feedback here: Lightroom CC | Photoshop Family Customer Community

Thanks,

Akash

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Andre,

I didn’t know you could do that, even with Snapseed. Im guessing that, for the image to be categorized as a “portrait,” the depth map (which is a separate channel) would have to be preserved, and the image stored in the correct format. I believe that when LR saves to the camera roll, it’s writing an ordinary jpeg. I’m going to try it myself, just to confirm for my own understanding. But in the meanwhile, perhaps Tanuj Sandal​ or Akash Sharma​ from Adobe could comment from their perspective.

Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mike,

Thanks for bringing this to our notice.

Regards,

Akash

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 22, 2018 Nov 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, Michael,

do you know what is the format of portrait mode picture if its not “regular” jpeg?

Thanks in advance,

Jana

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 23, 2018 Nov 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Actually, I believe it starts as a HEIC File with a depth map included as a fourth channel. Depending on your settings on the iPhone, the HEIC could be converted to JPG When transferring to LR Mobile. Check the option under Settings > Photos > Transfer to Mac or PC. If set to “Automatic,” LR gets a JPG copy of the original HEIC.

Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines