• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Export DNG to external drive, using IOS

Community Beginner ,
Jul 20, 2020 Jul 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I live in an area with terrible internet.

I have been using lightroom for mobile. I have had to upload and download constantly, to the point where all of my data has been used and the internet slowed to a crawl at 256kbs. Sometimes even leaving the phone syncing overnight will result in only one or two images being synced. This has been a horrible problem for over 2 months now, resulting in frequent chats and email support from Adobe, and a bit of ranting here.

I had thought after the last email dialogue with Adobe that it would be possible to simply export the images as DNGs (not JPGs) without having to sync and therefore use the internet; however, when I have tried to do this, I can only export images that have already been synced. Images that have not been synced cannot be shared / exported - according to the app.

This is contrary to my expectations. I purchased a lightning to USB drive specifically so that I could just access the files in a normal way - like you can with any other software and operating system - just select the files and transfer or export them.

I am wondering if there is a specific lightroom setting that will obviate the need to sync. Will, for example, disabling 'download smart preview only' result in not needing to sync, or is there another setting somewhere?

I find it hard to believe that adobe would 'invent' software that you can't use without a reliable internet connection. Surely there is a way to export files directly to an external drive without having to first sync?

I am using the latest IOS and Lightroom for mobile versions.

I will not use lightroom desktop.

All I want to do is export RAW / DNG from the phone to an external drive (without syncing) - it's connected and it works.

Thank you in advance if you are able to help.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 24, 2020 Jul 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds like it may be the same issue as one this thread which is on the Feedback forum, which is monitored by the engineers:

https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/lightroom-cc-on-ipad-pro-cant-batch-export-wi...

This forum is mainly a user to user one

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 24, 2020 Jul 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you 🙂 I did find the solution and have meant to post it here.

It does involve purchasing an iXpand USB flashdrive for iphone. In the long run, the cost outweighs your internet connection being slowed by 'generous' providers (in Australia), and the toll on your mental health as you notice that after syncing overnight only the second of multiple images is still in progress. Before this, you may have looked at the Adobe help page for this issue - which is very much out of date - and you may well have sworn rather a lot.

I had a lot of trouble but eventually, after a lot of swearing and the equivalent number of hours to raise a home deposit if I was being paid, downloaded my synced images using the downloader tool and then deleted them from lightroom.adobe.com. I will probably not go there again.

Then, I deleted the app and all its contents from my phone - completely.

After some hesitation, I reinstalled it and then made sure syncing was off.

I de-selected 'download only smart previews'

Took some photos and was able to export to the external drive( iXpand), but only 50 images at a time.

So I think the solution for anyone without a gold standard internet connection and a family trust fund to pay for the GBs, is, to first get all of your photos out of the cloud - make sure to delete them on lightroom.adobe.com, then:

• Delete the app and all of its contents, reinstall (if you dare)
  • Make sure syncing is OFF
  • Make sure download only smart previews is OFF
  • Take some photos
  • From the 'All photos' screen select 50 or fewer photos
  • Select Share
  • Select 'Export as' and specify the type (I used original)
  • Then select iXpand from the share to list
  • You will have created a folder with an inspiring name on this drive already
  • All the flashing screens and calls to action that come with the iXpand device may drive you to further despair, but do persist.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines