Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to prevent images from shared collectios to be downloaded

Community Beginner ,
Apr 20, 2018 Apr 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I have created a collection and shared a link to that collection via Lightroom CC. Is there a way to prevent people from right-clicking then downloading images from that collection while viewing that collection in a browser?

Thank you.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 20, 2018 Apr 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

You can determine download settings for Albums at Photo Editor | Online Photoshop Lightroom

However, I don’t think you can stop someone right clicking on the image in the browser, although I guess this would be low res.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 21, 2018 Apr 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes you can enable or disable right clicking on an image to download it. However that in and of itself will not prevent someone from screen shotting an image.

Select the collections gear icon and go to the share tab. Uncheck Allow downloads

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 21, 2018 Apr 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you both.  When logging into lightroom.adobe.com, I can see that the Allow downloads checkbox is not selected. Looking through a different browser and making sure I was not signed in, I can still right click on an image and download it.

Two questions:

1. Is there some other setting that I am missing

2. Should there be a way to prevent downloads from Lightroom CC rather than going to lightroom.adobe.com and selecting the gear icon?

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 23, 2018 Apr 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Michael,

There are no other settings you are missing. If you right click I guess it’s just like doing the same on any web page image.

The only other option would be to Watermark them if you are concerned, either from Classic or Mobile (but don’t think that Shared Links honour Watermarks).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 03, 2023 Sep 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the age of AI this is a huge drawback, that I cannot securely share my photos without them being downloaded for who the hell knows what use.  Even sending to people I know is not secure as it's only an internet link and those links inevitably get passed around.  What a ahame.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 04, 2023 Sep 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This is the internet. If you can see it in a browser, you can steal it. There really is nothing you can do about that to completely stop it. You can't stop screenshots and you can't completely prevent saving the image even with javascript. If you can see the image, it means it is now stored on your computer/device and you can get the browser to save the images in a different spot. Absolutely nothing you can do about it and nothing to do with Lightroom. Lightroom web could make it a bit harder to save the images you see in the browser, but it cannot be completely prevented. This is just the way the internet works and you really can't stop this. When people do it it is still copyright infringement and applicable laws such as the DMCA in the US apply however! This is true also for the AI people when they use internet material to train their AI bots and there are a number of lawsuits in the courts around this that still need to be resolved and from what I hear very well might go the way of the copyright holders but that is currently still unclear and it is still the wild west out there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 03, 2023 Sep 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I unchecked all 4 of the boxes that lightroom.adobe.com gives you for control over the images.  There is no stopping anyone--from saving as and opening in PShop at the size I've loaded online.  Reducing the size so the images will be poor to print also means they'll be poor to view which of course defeats the purpose.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines