• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

iPadOS 13 and SD imports

Community Beginner ,
Aug 10, 2020 Aug 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I used to be able to import directly my raw images from my SD card to Lightroom, which detected the SD card as a "camera device".  Now it does not, and if I try to import from the file system (navigating to the SD card) I cannot import more than 4-6 in a single go and without being able to see the preview.

I am connecting the card reader ( usb 3 ) to an USB-to-USB-C adapter, then connected to the iPad.  This worked flawlessly few months ago in iPadOS 13.

{Moved from Lightroom Cloud to Lightroom Mobile & Apple TV Forum by Moderator}

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Sep 09, 2020 Sep 09, 2020

Try this:

Go to iOS Settings > Privacy > Files and Folders.  Do you see two settings for Lightroom like in this screenshot below?

Turn them both OFF.  This should reduce this two settings to just one.  Now turn ON the remaining Lightroom setting.  Launch Lightroom again and then attach your SD card.  It should work again now.

Hope this helps!

Settings-LR-twice.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,
Aug 10, 2020 Aug 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like to add more information as I have been testing at home further.

The SD card is not seen as a "camera device" anymore, regardless of the way I use to plug it to the iPad.  I am using Apple's USB-C to USB-C/HDMI/USB dongle and connecting directly my Fuji X-T2 to the device through an USB cable.  Same result, the SD card is just seen as an "unnamed" USB device and I can only access it that way.  The images are imported from the filesystem, without any of the nice features this had in the past (Like the preview of the Raw images).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 30, 2020 Aug 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here. Used to work just fine, now it doesn't anymore. First I thought the card reader was broken, but it works just fine with Light Room on my iPhone. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 09, 2020 Sep 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any news on this? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Pan and Holger

Sorry for the slow reply.  I am not able to reproduce any trouble with Direct Import on my iPad with iOS 13.6

Some questions:

Can you share specific details about which device model and iOS version you are running? 

Holger, what file types (camera make and model) are you trying?  I see Pan's files are from Fuji X-T2.

Is the iOS Photos.app able to access your photos from SD card? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Charly, thanks for getting back to us. 

I have an iPad Pro 10.5" from 2017, running on 13.6.1.

I shoot with a Canon EOS 6D in raw format (. CR2).

Just checked, the native photo app finds the card instantly. And again: it used to work just fine and was super comfortable. Unfortunately I cannot tell when exactly it stopped working (paused for like three months and can't tell if it came with the last update). 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try this:

Go to iOS Settings > Privacy > Files and Folders.  Do you see two settings for Lightroom like in this screenshot below?

Turn them both OFF.  This should reduce this two settings to just one.  Now turn ON the remaining Lightroom setting.  Launch Lightroom again and then attach your SD card.  It should work again now.

Hope this helps!

Settings-LR-twice.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 10, 2020 Sep 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Awesome, Charlie! This did the trick!

Thanks a million!

H. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 16, 2020 Sep 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Running the August 30th release of Lightroom for Mobile on iPad and I'm still unable to select the official Apple USB-C SD card adapter from within Lightroom.

That functionality worked fine earlier in the year, and now the only way to get photos in Lightroom is to waste precious storage by importing first in iOS via the Photos app's own import flow, then import from Camera Roll, and delete all Lightroom-imported shots from Photos app later in order to not run out of storage, assuming you have enough storage to begin with. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 16, 2020 Sep 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Olivier, 

I moved your message to an existing thread, which I think may explain the problem you see.  Does the advice in previous messages above help?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 20, 2020 Sep 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've got the same problem, I tried what you suggested also rebooted the iPad but it's still greyed out and not letting me import from sd card. This is a big issue for me as the whole reason for buying the iPad Pro is so I can work while travelling in between photo shoots 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 21, 2020 Sep 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Cindy, I moved your post to a newer thread where I included a screen shot of what your settings may look like, and also mentioned steps to resolve this.  Can you check out the info earlier in this new thread and see if it helps?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 06, 2024 Mar 06, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm experiencing this same issue on Lightroom mobile on my iPhone... using an sd card reader but no camera device detected, go into settings and i only see one toggle for Lightroom under "files and folders", Lightroom just does not read it, but other external apps can? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 06, 2024 Mar 06, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@Kyle35589789lb8y 

In iOS Settings > Lightroom > Photos, what is your Photo Library Access set to?  Full Access is recommended.  If that's not the issue, does restarting the device help?

If your iOS Photos app can brose the contents of your SD card while that's attached, then Lightroom should also be able to access the SD card contents as long as permissions are enabled as this thread describes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 19, 2020 Oct 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks but no thanks. The instructions given fixed this issue which I've just "lived with" for maybe 6 months now, at least longer than I managed to use the feature in the first place. This bug sucks big time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines