• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom for iPad: External Hard Drive (Copying Files to)

New Here ,
Nov 27, 2019 Nov 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using Adobe Lightroon for iPad for the first time.  I am using a Lacie external hard drive with an internal SD card reader.  I want Lightroom to copy the files from the SD card to the hard drive and then work on the files that reside on the hard drive.  I cannot import the files to my iPad and keep them on the iPad because I don't have sufficient storage space, which is the reason I purchased the hard drive.  

How do I do that?  I had assumed that the Lightroon for iPad would look similar to the Classic version, but I was wrong.  Where is the import function, and how do I direct where the files are saved to?

Thank you

Jack Siegel

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 27, 2019 Nov 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Jack,

You're correct, Lighttoom Mobile doesn't work in the same was Classic does (using a local drive where the photos reside).

When you Add Photos, Lightroom Mobile imports them into the applicaion first, then syncs to the Cloud (if you have one of the photograpy plans). 

Lightroom Mobile will after a while automatically manage the local storage (within the app) replacing the full res with lower resoultion proxies (Smart Previews) as required.

It's probably best to import photos in small batches. wait for sync to the Cloud to complete and then Clear Cache (via the preferences). This should reduce the number of full res stored locally and replace with Smart Previews/Thumbnails.

Apart from that, depending on what OS the iPad is running, to import, you may have to either access the external disc in the Files App and share to Lightroom OR import to the Camera Roll and then to Lightroom (that option takes up either more space as you have to delete from the Camera Roll afterwards). Adobe have said direct import should be coming this year: https://youtu.be/jGV9BbzjK3s 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines