• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Lightroom iPad/iPhone Device overheats & brightness dims

Community Beginner ,
Dec 19, 2017 Dec 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I haven't found anything related to this in online searches, so i thought i would ask Lightroom users.

I have Lightroom mobile installed on my iPhone 7 and when i use it, the phone gets very hot. If the ambient temp is 90 or better (which happens quite often here in Florida), the phone will overheat and shut down after a while. I used it without that happening yesterday (ambient temps around 75), but the phone was still quite hot. I have a pretty thin Spigen case on the phone, and it doesn't get hot with anything other apps.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks,

Steve

Bug Investigating
TOPICS
iOS: iPhone , iPadOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Pinned Replies

Adobe Employee , Jan 11, 2022 Jan 11, 2022

Converting this to a bug just to be clear that we do acknowledge the reports here and have a ticket logged for the engineers to investigate.

Please share specific steps used when this occurs.

--- 

February 5, 2024 Update
[WORKAROUND]

Although it's not ideal, it may help if you enable ‘battery saver’ mode, which throttles the GPU then Lightroom performs much more slowly BUT the overheating/screen dimming issue no longer occurs.

Status Acknowledged

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Mar 16, 2024 Mar 16, 2024

Updating Status to Investigating

Status Investigating

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 165 Replies 165
165 Comments
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 26, 2020 Mar 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

which iPad Pro is it exactly?
And what kind of edits are you doing when this occurs?
Are you working with RAWs or other images? 
Any info about dimensions and file types will be helpful.

Thanks,
Ignacio

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know this is exactly how I feel. I edit on my iPad hoping it will look fine just to re-edit everything on my iMac again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the 12.9 2018 iPad Pro.

I'm a wedding photographer so I mainly edit RAW files. I import them on my iMac and sync the smart previews with my LR on my iPad and then edit on there as I love working remotely. 

My iPad has a lot of space left and I make sure all my other apps are closed when using LR. It starts off fine but once my battery goes below 60% the dimming starts and it heats up. Removed my case now to make sure the iPad gets enough ventilation but that doesn't help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Mar 27, 2020 Mar 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On my new iPad 11 the problem occurs when I apply a selective correction with a brush when processing RAW files. Regardless of the work time, this happens when using more than three masks. With each mask, the brush is getting more and more screen and the screen becomes darker about 30 percent. CR2 4889 * 2750 (5184 * 3456)

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Mar 27, 2020 Mar 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issue as well. HUGE problem when using the iPad as my primary editing device when I'm on the road. 12.9 inch 3rd Gen iPad Pro.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Apr 11, 2020 Apr 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for posting this! Such a frustration. 

I too have the same issue - Adobe please could this be fixed urgently? I can't believe someone posted about this in 2017 and it still hasn't been fixed!! 

I've read all the comments in this thread and I have to admit I'm very disappointed with Adobe's questions around which phone "network" we are using - even with limited tech knowledge I know this has nothing to do with the issue. 

I don't understand how Adobe can't have experienced this when testing either... anyone I speak to in person suffers the same problem on mobile! 

A lot of us use Lightroom Mobile for work, and this issue is honestly is putting me off using Lightroom all together. 

Here's the detail you request from my end:

• Device: iPhone 8 Plus

• Network: EE (UK) and using WiFi (excellent connection on both - no issues) 

• Phone Health: Phone and Battery in excellent condition, with no issues (these have been checked by a professional). 

The Problem with Lightroom Mobile:

• Digital Issue: Phone loses brightness within 3 minutes of using Lightroom to edit any photo. This includes low res photos taken on my phone, which I am literally just adjusting the brightness and contrast. 

• Physical Issue: Phone heats up on the back as described, then brightness drops - sometimes it drops twice (each time a darker screen).

• Phone Settings: remain on full brightness. 

• After Effects: Phone brightness then takes over 5 minutes to go back to normal. 

Any further info you need please ask - let's get this sorted! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Apr 14, 2020 Apr 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi cbattson22

CPU and battery use due to intense processing, and cellular use especially when your device radio has to work hard are known to be generators of heat.  Still, from my personal experience with the iPhone 8+, some deeper issue seems possible here.  I know these are challenging times in the world, but if possible I urge you to have Apple inspect your device to make sure there are no physical defects that you might need serviced--just saying this as a precaution, not a diagnosis.

I'm personally in a very warm climate and even in warm temperatures and direct sunlight, various phones I've used have only throttled back CPU or screen illumination a handful of times, and the one device that did this most needed its battery serviced sooner than expected.  Multiple CPU-intensive apps on my device from multiple developers were affected.  I'm not attempting to call out any particular device as problematic, or disregard your report -- we are listening.  I'm just stating that the processing you describe is intense on any device, and first steps should always be to ensure that the device you've invested in is working nornally as expected.

When you look in device settings for battery, what apps/processes are taxing your device the most?  Is it daily use apps, graphics intense apps, WiFi/Cellular intense apps, etc.?

Thanks for posting about your experience, and letting me know any additional details you can share.

Kind regards,

Charlie

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Apr 14, 2020 Apr 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately it certainly sounds like you are not listening, and attempting to shift the problem onto something out of your hands. Really disappointed with your response.  

Just to be clear - this issue happens on both my iPhone and my partners iPhone (a completely different, newer model). Every single time we use it. I might have thought it was an issue with my phone, but it's just not feasable for you to claim it's due to the individual phone, battery climate, when so many people have raised this same issue, and all have different phone models. 

It seems obvious it's something your team has done in the design of Lightroom Mobile that is not compatable with an Apple phone (I can't comment on android). This makes it your job to fix and update (as with any apps with bugs).  

This issue with the brightness quite obviously makes the app unuseable as it is all about the clarity with photo editing. It requires urgent investigation. It seems reasonable to highlight you have lost several users from this issue alone.  

Never have I experienced a company (especially one with such high monthly charges) trying to so blatantly shift the blame onto another issue or firm, instead of taking adequate steps to investigate and resolve the matter internally.

We are your customers, and should expect the same level of service from your app regardless of the device we choose to use. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
May 25, 2020 May 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any updates on this? This is a really frustrating occurrence. I love Using my IPad Pro to edit but this is making it nearly impossible to accurately get my job done. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jun 28, 2020 Jun 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

got the same issue with my iphone 8+ and this is hyper frustrating! It only does it when I use LR CC even if my wi-fi/data connection is perfect. The phone overheats to the point that I am not able to edit more than one photo at the time per 5 mins (doing my edits super fast then wait for the phone to get back to normal). My phone works perfectly fine except for this issue so it would be great if your team could do something about it and stop implying that Apple is the problem.

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jul 03, 2020 Jul 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Newest iPad Pro here - 12.9, same issue. 10 minutes in Lightroom = dim. Very annoying for the whole workflow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jul 08, 2020 Jul 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ignacio, I have an iPad Pro 11"  I work only in Raw photos and it happens minutes after I start the editing. Is very annoying and hopefully you guys can fix this otherwise using and iPad for profesional editing is not something that you guys should recommend 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Aug 09, 2020 Aug 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue. I have the iPad Pro 11 / 2020. is there already any solution??? It is super annoying

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Aug 09, 2020 Aug 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Facing the same issue. The phone turns like an Owen grill ☹️
It's tough to hold the phone. 
please help with a fix soon!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Aug 20, 2020 Aug 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree Majudude, I have the 12.9" 2018 iPad Pro and the same thing is happening to me. One thing I did try was to install LR mobile onto my wife's iPad Pro 12.9 2018, it didn't happen on hers which was strange. It is frustrating when people have paid lots of money for a device and have this problem. My wife works in sales and gets points for her sales so we got our iPad Pro's for free but that's not the point, it is still annoying. I am going to sell my iPad Pro and purchase a MacBook Pro when they drop in price due to the new MacBooks being released soon. Maybe iPad OS 14 will fix this problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Sep 02, 2020 Sep 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please help.. my iPhone 11(ios 13.6.1) Overheating using Lightroom mobile... and battery goes fast down? Please help???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Sep 02, 2020 Sep 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry to hear that your iPhone 11 is getting overheated while using Lightroom mobile app.

Which version of Lightroom are you using on your iOS device(Latest 5.4.2)? Are you syncing a large number of images or importing/exporting images when the app tends to overheat the device?

Have you tried restarting your device or checked some of these possible factors causing the issue that I mentioned above?

Thanks,

Akash

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Oct 06, 2020 Oct 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here... I have a 2018 12.9 iPad Pro and it's the only device I use for editing but this issue is seriously getting in my nerves... Would love at least a clarification about why this is happening.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Oct 06, 2020 Oct 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have got around this problem by reducing the brightness of the screen by
50 percent which is better for when you print anyway.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 06, 2021 Jan 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ignacio 

has anyone at Adobe found a solution for this? Same for me. iPad Pro 2018. 
thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 22, 2021 Jan 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LOL its 2021 and I got the same issues on an iPhone 12 Pro Max.. After 5 min of editing the phone gets very hot and the screen dims to a level that it's not possible to continue the work.. How can it take that long to fix it?? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jan 22, 2021 Jan 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah... Adobe sucks. We need to wait for the stock to tank, then they will start developing again. Such a shame. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
May 23, 2021 May 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has anyone found a solution for this? I am on the new 2021 iPad Pro with 16gb ram and was hoping I wouldn't have this issue but sure enough I do. As a professional photographer this is a problem!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jun 15, 2021 Jun 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the same issue w/ the new M1 iPad Pro 11inch. Screen dims after applying multiple selective edits. Is this an iPad issue or an Adobe issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jun 16, 2021 Jun 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bendtheodds, I would say it is an issue with the ipad pro. I have come to a conclusion why it is happening. I now use my windows laptop and also an external monitor for editing due to being able to calibrate them. I have found no issue with screen dimming while using the laptop or monitor. 

The reason for the ipad dimming is because of throttling, this is to cool the ipad down with the screen being so bright. It gets too warm while doing labour intensive tasks. A laptop or desktop has better cooling. When I had my 2018 ipad pro I reduced the screen brightness down to approximately 50% brightness and edit in a dimmer room, screen dimming didn't seem to cause me problems. If you print more than online work then working with a dimmer screen in a darker environment will be better for producing brighter prints. If you need your screen at full brightness then I'm afraid there isn't much you can do unless you can cool the back of the ipad down somehow while working.

Votes

Translate

Translate