• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom Mobile and LR CC working off SSD Drive

New Here ,
Dec 08, 2019 Dec 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Please help a totally confused noob!

I'm used to using desktop versions and recently got an iPad pro to use mobile and I'm very confused.

Here is what I thought I could do, or want to do.....

I have 2500 RAW images from an event on my SSD drive. I imported them onto my iMac and LR CC. I THOUGHT I could then import them onto LR on my iPpad, but store the files still on the SSD and work off of them that way with the SSD connected to my iPad. Then the cloud would trasnfer my settings used to my iMac when I got home.

Instead, it wants to use the cloud to download the files to my ipad. (says 20GB cloud space isnt enough, understandable considering my files are 260GB!)  It wont let me import the files directly off my SSD when connected. Am I doing something wrong, or is this not even possible?  I won't have Wifi connection when using the ipad.

Hope that amke sense.... Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 09, 2019 Dec 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi,

Simply put, you need more Cloud Storage space as the Lightroom Cloud Ecosystem syncs everything to the Cloud, which are the Master files... it doesn’t work like Lightroom Classic, with local storage. Do you use Classic also?

When you import into Lightroom Desktop (formerly Lightroom CC) the files will sync to the Cloud (if there is enough space).

If there is, then the photos will be accessible on an iPad also (same account details), although it won’t download the full resolution unless required. 

If you are importing into the iPad, When you Add Photos, Lightroom Mobile imports them into the applicaion first, then syncs to the Cloud. Lightroom Mobile will after a while automatically manage the local storage (within the app) replacing the full res with lower resoultion proxies (Smart Previews) as required.

It's probably best to import photos in small batches. wait for sync to the Cloud to complete and then Clear Cache (via the preferences). This should reduce the number of full res stored locally and replace with Smart Previews/Thumbnails.

Apart from that, depending on what OS the iPad is running, to import, you may have to either access the external disc in the Files App and share to Lightroom OR import to the Camera Roll and then to Lightroom (that option takes up either more space as you have to delete from the Camera Roll afterwards). Adobe have said direct import should be coming this year: https://youtu.be/jGV9BbzjK3s 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines