• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom mobile automatically reduce size of photo. Why?

Community Beginner ,
Oct 07, 2014 Oct 07, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The original photo I've taken with iphone is 2448*3264, 1.64mb. When I import the photo in Lightroom mobile it automatically reduce the size to 1536*2048, 446kb. Why? How do I turn this off?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Mar 10, 2016 Mar 10, 2016

Hi,

As of version 2.2 Lr mobile on iOS now uses full resolution output:
Lightroom mobile for iOS 2.2 Now Available with Full-Resolution Output « Julieanne Kost's Blog

thanks,

Ignacio

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here ,
Oct 07, 2017 Oct 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here.   I load photos to my iPad Pro using the SD card adapter.  When I import from camera roll to LR or any photoshop, when I save it back to my camera roll it is maybe 1/4 the size.  I'm not sure if this is effecting the resolution when I go to print the photo, but I'll find out soon I guess.  The file size I don't care about, it is the resolution that concerns me.  How do we check to see if it is being deminished?

Here is a screen shot of the upload to MPix.   The 6016x4016is unchanged...but the original was 7MB and the LR version (with no cropping and basically no editing) is 2MB.  So is the resolution the same for printing?

IMG_0126.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 13, 2019 Feb 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is now 2019,  I just bought a iPad.  The resolutuion on photoshop express is still useless.   I tried sending editing images to be developed.  The resolution is so bad, the professional developers refused to even to.  The best they could do was wallet size. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 18, 2019 Nov 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Everything was going well for me until I exported an image.  I chose "maximum available" for image size and I ended up with a 600kb file!  What am I going to do with that? I can't take that to the print shop and do an enlargement!  If I can't use the images professionally that I edit on my iPad, what is the value of this LR for iPad?

--------------------------------

(Bumping this to the end of the thread since it got lost in the middle.

Replies via the first post work best for responce ordering.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 19, 2019 Nov 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you sync your catalog with LR Classic? If you do, then LR Mobile has access only to smart previews, with maximum pixel dimensions of 2560 on the large edge. 

If you don't use LR Classic, then your originals are preserved in the cloud. 

Either way, when you export,you need to choose maximum available. This will get you full size images, or 2560 pixel images, depending on your use of LR Classic. Your mobile device must be able to connect to the cloud to download the full size image. If you're not on wifi, you may need to enable cellular data for this to work. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 15, 2020 Jun 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

what about Android?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 09, 2020 Sep 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What's the point of editing with the Photoshop or Lightroom iPad apps if you lose file size/resolution.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 03, 2020 Nov 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

can you please elaborate some more on your question?

Since you are touching a very old thread that has been marked as correct a long time ago, it would help a lot to know if this is generally about sharing or about a PS mobile and Lr Mobile workflow.
If you are addressing a PS/Lr mobile workflow, it makes sense to handle that in a different thread.

Thanks,
Ignacio

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 22, 2020 Nov 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's 2020 now and still having the same problem, anybody knows of any solution?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 17, 2021 Aug 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I realize this is an old thread, but it's now 2021 and I have identified the same issue and I don't see that it has been resolved. I have an iPhone 12 Pro and just downloaded the FREE version of LR Mobile and discovered it DOES, in fact, REDUCE the size of the images, making this app useless for me. I do not have LR on my PC so they are not syncd. Reduced size images, plus the limited editing offered (no selections, no spot healing, no geometry) just demonstrates that this app is just a teaser to get you to upgrade to a subscription. I can do more in Photoshop Elements than with this app. Very disappointing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 18, 2021 Aug 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@dslott10 could you give us some more info about where you notice the reduced size? Are you revering to the Share-workflow? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi! I'm sharing from LR (emailing) to myself so I can download to my PC, then I bring it into Photoshop Elements 19 (2021) to do selections, spot healing and correct distortion, etc. I need high resolution images for my stock photo business. I'm new to LR so before I consider LR for my PC I wanted to test with the app. I don't want a subscription.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @dslott10 

If you use the Share menu, LR will indeed share a small 2048px rendition of your image.  

Try the other option, Export As -- there you can choose advanced options including file type (Original, JPG, etc), and also choose Dimensions (Largest Available Dimensions, Custom, etc)

...This Export As menu will still let you email images, if that's how you prefer to transfer to your computer.

Just know that if you export Originals, these will not include any edits you've made in Lightroom.

Edit: by the way, once one chooses a File Type or Dimension, those settings are sticky

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Charlie.D!

That worked.

You mentioned "if that's how you prefer to transfer to your computer" (email).

I also transfer files directly from my phone into Photoshop Elements 2019.

Is there a way to transfer from LR to Photoshop Elements 2019? (Or to my HD without emailing?)

I appreciate your help! Thanks 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 19, 2021 Aug 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, I don't believe there's any LR < - > Elements integration that would allow the transfer of files from LR to Elements or back and forth between apps.

Elements users who want to change to using Lightroom instead can migrate photos to Lightroom as a one time, one way migration (info here), but isn't what you're looking for.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 20, 2021 Aug 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Thank you for the info 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Aug 19, 2021 Aug 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Short version is no.

If you are interested in Lr, then you would switch to Photoshop for the pixel edirting, and let Lr handle the photo management.

Tim

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines