• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom mobile automatically reduce size of photo. Why?

Community Beginner ,
Oct 07, 2014 Oct 07, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The original photo I've taken with iphone is 2448*3264, 1.64mb. When I import the photo in Lightroom mobile it automatically reduce the size to 1536*2048, 446kb. Why? How do I turn this off?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Mar 10, 2016 Mar 10, 2016

Hi,

As of version 2.2 Lr mobile on iOS now uses full resolution output:
Lightroom mobile for iOS 2.2 Now Available with Full-Resolution Output « Julieanne Kost's Blog

thanks,

Ignacio

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For additional information, I use iphone 6 with ios 8.02. Every photo that's imported to Lightroom become smaller.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are syncing originals from your Desktop LR to LR Mobile, the Desktop is sending smart previews which are sized 2560 on the longest side, while the originals remain only on your desktop:

http://blogs.adobe.com/richardcurtis/?p=2691

I am not sure what happens with photos that originate from LR Mobile (the camera roll or whatever that has turned into in iOS8) if that is what you’re talking about.

You cannot turn off the usage of smart previews going from the desktop to the mobile device because Adobe is using the cloud to host them and doesn’t want to have terabytes of space used up storing large originals.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, it seems I wasn't clear enough. I'm not using desktom Lightroom. I'm talking about photo import from iphone's Camera roll to Lr for iphone's album. Everything's done in iphone, so no desktop sync is involved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe LR Mobile is supposed to be a temporary location for working on photos that either have come from or will eventually be imported into the Desktop LR.  It seems less important how large the photos are in LR Mobile, and more important how large the photos are in the LR folders on the Desktop LR computer once the iOS-device photos are synched back over to the desktop.  Have you tries this?  Do iOS photos end up in the Desktop LR at their original size or in the smaller size you're seeing in LR Mobile?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 08, 2014 Oct 08, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I installed Lr desktop to check this, and no, imported photos from my phone to Lr desktop are all original size.

So you're saying Lr mobile is half baked app that only works as a bridge? I want to import photo from Camera roll to Lr mobile - original size, of course - then export it back to Camera roll after making some tweak in Lr mobile. All done within the phone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom is a desktop application. Lightroom Mobile is an extension of that desktop application that syncs to and from the desktop via the cloud. It is means to be a light-weight sorter and simple manipulator of images for the desktop catalog and desktop image store. As such it can sync full-size images from the desktop LR to the mobile app as reduced sized previews that allow overall toning and cropping operations to be performed from the comfort of the couch, but eventually those adjustments are meant to be applied to the desktop LR’s original images and from the desktop is where further and the final processing occurs.

I am less sure how it interacts with the iOS device’s camera roll, if you can publish its changes back to that or if you are only transferring the iOS images to the desktop for importing with the adjustments made on the device.

It might eventually turn into what you’re wanting, but perhaps without more powerful hardware.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the answer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 09, 2014 Oct 09, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

LrMobile does not downsample images upon import.

is the workflow that you mention:

1. import image from camera roll

2. make edits

3. share to camera roll

When the image is shared to the camera roll it will not be using the full size image.

If you have autoimport enabled it might seem as if we downscale upon import but this is upon export.

You can see the size of the images in the grid in Lr Mobile if you two finger tap in the grid.

After a while you will see the dimensions, hope it explains it.

Thanks,

Ignacio

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 09, 2014 Oct 09, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see. Then, how do I turn off down sampling on export?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 17, 2015 Jun 17, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

‌Sorry to bring up an old thread, but I have the same question as above, how do you export the full size image from the mobile app. Not being able to send full size images makes this mobile version almost useless for editing on the road. It's close to perfect other than this apparent restriction. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 13, 2015 Jul 13, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have also the same problem

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 14, 2015 Nov 14, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

oh ok sweet- so it doesn't reduce the size on import. so how can the final edits be taken out of lightroom with the original size?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 17, 2016 Jan 17, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did delete a few orginals before I did notice this. Those orginals are now gone.

I'm very disappointed that this "feature" is not clearly documented.

Is Adobe deliberately misleading customers?

Edit.

Just noticed that Photoshop Touch has this same "feature".

Why, Adobe? There can't be any reason to do this, but to force customer to buy some other products.

For this reason I rate these apps as one star... do not buy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 22, 2019 Sep 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your suggestions makes sense but it is not what is happening for me. I can't send an image from my mobile in the original size.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 17, 2019 Nov 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Everything was going well for me until I exported an image.  I chose "maximum available" for image size and I ended up with a 600kb file!  What am I going to do with that? I can't take that to the print shop and do an enlargement!  If I can't use the images professionally that I edit on my iPad, what is the value of this LR for iPad?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 10, 2020 Nov 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since I posted this, LR Mobile has corrected this problem.  You can now export images in a number of file formats with full resolution.  Thank you!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 04, 2016 Jan 04, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Half baked is right, and not clear. If the photo is sitting there in LR mobile and capable of exporting to my phone or other apps I'm going to assume I'm getting the real photo. Sooner or later maybe developers will stop creating booby traps while thinking they're clever.

I put something into a box. I assume the same something is in the box when I go back to retrieve it. I don't assume gremlins live in the box and change things when I close the door. This is the mental model of the world. Developers please mirror this, otherwise you're wasting people's time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 02, 2020 Nov 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kind of. For those of us that work entirely on our tablet and no longer use a desktop, having Lightroom reduce the image size and not allow me to set the default resolution to 300 dpi, it's a hassle. But from LR mobile, you can open the image in Photoshop and change the image size and resolution. Unfortunately it's another step in the workflow. LR mobile can't be only a temp space anymore. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 09, 2015 Oct 09, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here, cannot find any setting to set export size.
Only reason I can't use Lightroom Mobile

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 10, 2015 Oct 10, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here.

If I can't share full size images on iOS, I can't use the app.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 13, 2015 Oct 13, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

same here; just downloaded Lightroom iPad (free version); imported few photos from camera roll, edited them and export them back to camera roll to notice that all new saved photos are 2048x1152!!!!! THAT IS MEAN ADOBE!!!!! what's the point to use it then???!!!! if all photos are shrinked to ipad resolution ONLY: I found NO setting to change that... I even tried to share directly to FLICKR and all photos are also shrinked to 2048x1152 pixels....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 29, 2015 Oct 29, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem for me. Additionally to say: Nearly all Sharing functions in iOS apps will reduce the resolution - a workflow with several mobile photography apps without losing image quality is nearly impossible

It would be really great if Adobe can fix that and enable full size exports - or even better: let the user control the export size.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 29, 2015 Oct 29, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would like to add my name to the list of people wanting to be able to export images full size on LRMobile. I Can understand smart previews from the desktop version, but would like to export full sized images from pictures already on a device.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 20, 2015 Dec 20, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a significant need. With the current downsize on export, this means you can't use any other iOS app to edit your photos and bring them back to Lr, unless of course you don't care that you lose most of your resolution.

Adobe, do you have a response to this? I was looking forward to an iOS-heavy workflow on an iPad Pro but that's clearly not possible with this massive limitation.

-Joseph

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines