• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom mobile automatically reduce size of photo. Why?

Community Beginner ,
Oct 07, 2014 Oct 07, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The original photo I've taken with iphone is 2448*3264, 1.64mb. When I import the photo in Lightroom mobile it automatically reduce the size to 1536*2048, 446kb. Why? How do I turn this off?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Mar 10, 2016 Mar 10, 2016

Hi,

As of version 2.2 Lr mobile on iOS now uses full resolution output:
Lightroom mobile for iOS 2.2 Now Available with Full-Resolution Output « Julieanne Kost's Blog

thanks,

Ignacio

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Dec 20, 2015 Dec 20, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For you folks wanting full-size exports from LR Mobile, go to this site and make an enhancement request:

Photoshop Family Customer Community

As a rule, Adobe does not read the user-to-user forums.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 08, 2016 Jan 08, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a problem for me as well.  While LR mobile can handle most of my editing requirements, there are still times I would like to use Snapseed or even Photoshop Fix.  However, I am not willing to accept the downsizing when sending the photo to one of these apps from LR mobile.  Adobe insinuates that it is an Apple restriction, but I find that hard to believe.  I can send a photo to Snapseed from Google Photos and there is no downsizing.  At this point it is hard for me to go all in on LR mobile until they change this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 09, 2016 Mar 09, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is not an Apple iOS restriction. I shoot in the field, download wirelessly to an iPad pro, and AirDrop from the iPad to my desktop at home.  Original file sizes are preserved unless you put LR Mobile in the loop.  Adobe needs to fix this if they want to sell into the PP enthusiast/pro tools market.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Feb 14, 2016 Feb 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad I found this thread. My first foray into using LR Mobile involved exporting to the Camera Roll. I found my 3024x3024 images downsized to 2048x2048. Not mention of why anywhere, just some arbitrary decision (I mean feature) that's not documented or changeable.

Nice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 10, 2016 Mar 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

As of version 2.2 Lr mobile on iOS now uses full resolution output:
Lightroom mobile for iOS 2.2 Now Available with Full-Resolution Output « Julieanne Kost's Blog

thanks,

Ignacio

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 10, 2016 Mar 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks – this is good to hear, and eliminates this significant limitation.

Note this was also addressed in the new version of Lightroom Mobile for Android as well:

What’s new in Lightroom mobile for Android 2.0?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 08, 2016 Jun 08, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am running the latest version of Lightroom Mobile on Android and I'm still getting reduced file size.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 24, 2016 Jun 24, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here... reduced file size on LR Mobile for Android. Adobe - will you be fixing this too?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 14, 2016 Aug 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Similar issue if air print from within lightroom mobile, resolution is dropped significantly. I have to "open in" another application to airprint at full scale.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 31, 2016 Mar 31, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What about Lightroom Mobile for android? It is also downsizing my pictures.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 31, 2016 Mar 31, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Carlos, see the link in the previous comment. Make sure you're running the latest version available of Lr Mobile.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 08, 2016 Jun 08, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm running that version on Android and still getting reduced file size and don't see where I can change it

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 24, 2017 Dec 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see there are a couple of posts that LRM version 2.2 allows for full res output. Well Im on version 3.1 and I still have this issue.

My Workflow is as follows.
Import RAW files off SD card into LR Classic CC on desktop.Select RAW files to edit, and move them to a collection folder to sync with LRM on my iPad Pro.

Go Into LRM do my global edits needed.

Hit the share button and sent to Edit in PS FIX app to remove blemishes (This brings up a pop up giving me the option of selecting a small 2048px export, or Maximum Allowable. I always select maximum allowable.

Perform my blemish edits in PS Fix, and click Save to Lightroom. Where PS Fix ads an edited image as a PNG file, that is Maximum size of 2mb sometimes 1mb.

The files get synced back to the desktop. I go to view the files, and when you click on the image to view 100% they are all pixelated. I exported the images from LR Classic CC on the desk top to jpg, and find the files are only 1-2 mb. Which are fine if they are only going to be used on Instagram or Facebook. But for printing this is completely unacceptable.

Think is the main reason I bought the iPad Pro, is so I can use the Apple Pencil to edit my images, its extremely fast. But Not its a waste of time, since the images are un-useable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 23, 2018 Jan 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why can’t you just fix this Adobe? it’s useless to not be able to edit photos in the lightroom app. Just bought the SD camera readet for no use at all

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 26, 2018 Jan 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Micaela,

are you referring to the Camera Connection (CC) Kit from Apple?

If you use it with Lightroom CC (on iOS devices) it should import the original, and the export of the images should be the right resolution.

If you use the same workflow as Ed, you won't get the full resolution when working on the device unless you've imported them on the device or Lightroom web. LR CC Classic (Desktop) only uploads the Smart Preview and not the Original.
Meaning you won't have full res in the app since you won't be able to work with the Original.

Thanks,

Ignacio

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 28, 2016 Sep 28, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bumping this up again because it's driving me mad. You're stating that the android version now has full download capability, but I cannot see any options to change to prevent from downloading 2048 longest edge size. I see the options in LR Mobile to 'Save to Gallery' then 'Highest Available Quality' along with the 'Limit to 2048px'. I choose the 'Highest' option and it still downloads in 2048px.

Can someone please help with this? It's bee an issue for 2 years so would appreciate to be pointed in the right direction.

Running the latest version v.2.1.1 on my Galaxy S7 Edge.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 15, 2016 Oct 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

same problem here with ipad pro and the latest version of lrmobile.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 30, 2016 Dec 30, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think the file size in pixels is the same now but the size in megabytes is smaller which would indicate a change in the quality or jpg compression setting. Any thoughts.?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 14, 2017 Jul 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have to revoke this old thread since I simply can't get my iPad Pro to export full resolution images!

When choosing Export -> "Maximum Available" it creates an image at max 2560px on the longest side.

Original files are 5670 x 3840, so I don't get it... not even if I choose "Edit in"... Photoshop Fix i.e. Still it maxes out at 2560. It makes Lightroom Mobile almost unusable!!!!

What am I missing?!

I'm running an iPad Pro 9,7", iOS10.3.2 and Lightroom Mobile 2.7.4...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 15, 2017 Jul 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where did the files you are trying to export originate?

Are the Smart Previews uploaded from Lightroom Desktop?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They were imported into Lightroom Desktop as DNG's. They might be Smart Previews, I'm not sure.

Can I get the full res synced to Lightroom mobile by turning off Smart Previews, or what? 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately not.

Lightroom Desktop will only upload Smart Previews to 'the cloud' (Lr Mobile and Web).

Photos uploaded through LrM/LrW and taken with the LrM Camera will upload at Full Res to 'the cloud' and back down to Lr Desktop at Full Res.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 30, 2017 Jul 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need some help with this as well. I imported my photos on to the iPad from the SD card using the apple adapter. When I edit the photos in LR mobile they look amazing and I am able to do all of the editing etc. but when I export back to the Camera roll so I can upload them to Facebook, the photos are getting reduced in resolution even when I choose use Maximum available. Then when I view the photos on the Camera roll that I exported, they look like they were taken with a really bad smartphone. What is going on??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 19, 2017 Sep 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a very similar problem.  I take full size RAW images on my 5D Mark IV, import them into LR Desktop, put them into a LR Mobile synced Collection, edit the files in LRM and export "Maximum Available" size, and end up with files that are 700-1000KB. So a file that starts off life as a 30MB file is reduced to a file that is 1MB or smaller at the max available export size from LRM. I use this workflow often for journalistic work assignments and it's cumbersome to have to bring both my iPad and laptop to work to send a final product to the editors. And if I'm not at the office, I don't have a way at all to send full res files from the field without purchasing a separate wireless hotspot to bring with me on location.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 27, 2018 Jan 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To all of you who raise this, and of course Adobe, sharing and exporting edits of my images from LRCC is a real pain.  LRCC exports or shares what appear to be thumbnails.  I want to share my best photos with friends and deposit some of them in other packages (eg Photos for Mac).  To do that I either have to work through the slow syncing with LR classic or edit in photoshop and then transfer.  And this needs to be done via an ftp site since file sizes are large.

If my images are stored in your cloud, with the edit steps attached as metadata, why can't the link I send to others not simply download all the relevant data?  Thumbnails are not enough and my workflow has been slowed considerably

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines