Lightroom Mobile Gets Hot!

New Here ,
Dec 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I haven't found anything related to this in online searches, so i thought i would ask Lightroom users.

I have Lightroom mobile installed on my iPhone 7 and when i use it, the phone gets very hot. If the ambient temp is 90 or better (which happens quite often here in Florida), the phone will overheat and shut down after a while. I used it without that happening yesterday (ambient temps around 75), but the phone was still quite hot. I have a pretty thin Spigen case on the phone, and it doesn't get hot with anything other apps.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks,

Steve

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Community Beginner ,
Mar 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It appears only you and I are having this issue.  I live in the UK, so it probably is not that you live in a warmer climate.  To date, I have not been able to get any answers to this problem. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
Mar 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I’ve noticed the same problem, both when editing raw photos taken on the phone (I have an iPhone X) and also when taking HDR images while they are processing. The phone gets really hot in one particular spot which I assume is where the image processing is taking place - right below the camera.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too am having this issue. When i open lightroom on my iphone, after about five minutes the phone will overheat to the point where its actually too hot to handle. Also, my iphone brightness dims shortly after i feel the phone heating up. This makes it impossible to edit photos.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is also worth mentioning that I live in Ireland. So this issue has clearly got nothing to do with climate.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same overheating problem using an iPhone X

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same Problem here,

iPhone 8

Lightroom V 4.3.2

Phone gets VERY hot VERY quickly

in both modes, camera & editing.

And it‘s even getting hot, if nothing is actually done with the app / when app is iddle.

And of course it drains the battery very quickly.

I live in Germany (moderate climate)

Please Adobe fix this!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My phone also gets very hot! I only had it open for five minutes & I had to close it, it was so hot. I’m in the United States on the west coast. Adobe needs to fix this!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Megan et all

We've read the problem reports on this thread and are investigating, but are not able to reproduce heat to the significant extent described in some cases above.

Some functions in Lightroom (importing many photos, editing large images (esp raw photos with lots of image data), processing LR camera HDRs and long exposures, etc) do use the CPU heavily.  However, CPU heat and battery consumption should perform like other apps that use the CPU as much.  For what it's worth, I've tried iPhone 7, 8, X and XS MAX, setting them up to process images for 45 minutes straight, including having the 7, X, and XS MAX inside solid Spigen cases like a previous post mentioned.  With ambient temps at 75 F / 24 C, each device's CPU was clearly warm but not at alarming levels like users here have experienced. 

Another thing that can generate heat and use the battery heavily is when the cellular radio has to struggle due to poor signal or crowded cellular service.  I have experienced my screen going dim once when I was at a convention, trying to upload a large file (to another service not related to Adobe).  My device at the time (an iPhone 6 or 6S) was indeed warm and the battery level dropped quickly.

For any new posts here, it would help to hear specific details about which app functions you are using, and are you also syncing or uploading in the background, and are other apps like iCloud potentially working/syncing in the background.  Also, please mention how good/poor your cellular signal seems to be, or if you're on WiFi, etc.

Lastly, heat issues might be a sign that your device needs service.  Please don't misunderstand -- I'm not suggesting this explains all the troubles mentioned here.  I just want to say that if your device exhibits heat issue in general, and this has become worse over time, you might ask Apple's Genius bar if they can run a free diagnostic on your device just to rule out any hardware level issues.

Megan, since you had recent issues, I'm going to send you some info to get a diagnostic log from you -- maybe it'll indicate what's causing such high CPU usage.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Facing the same issue. The phone turns like an Owen grill ☹️
It's tough to hold the phone. 
please help with a fix soon!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm from Toronto and I have the same problem with my iPhone 8, and it happens when I was taking pictures from Lightroom in raw mode, it heat up so quick and some time the app crashed, and before I try taking any raw pictures I had the phone not charging and not being used overnight, it's pretty chill before I start Lightroom.

Sometime I was able to take some raw pictures without those problem. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Taking pictures, even ones that require lots of processing like HDRs or long exposures should not cause this kind of excessive heat. We have tried to reproduce this in-house and while devices do warm up with CPU use, and cellular radio use, it's not to this extent described by users here. Just to play it safe, anyone experiencing excessive heat: please consider taking your device to an Apple store and let them run a diagnostic on it to make sure your device and battery are working normally.

We're continuing to investigate this, and are still monitoring feedback here.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Charlie_D I have the same issue every time I edit photos. My usual workflow (on an iPhone X) is to import a RAW photo from the Photos app into Lightroom, then when I’m done, render out to a new photo and then open that up in VSCO and sometimes some other app too. It does seem like it heats up more when going into the Color tab in Lightroom and often when changing the color temperature.

You also mention that it should behave like other apps, but I would argue that this app in particular should be mindful of not heating up enough to require dimming the screen, since that  makes it impossible to properly use the app because of the primary use being editing photos. I would be more forgiving if the screen dims in other apps. If there is something you could do to slow down CPU intensive tasks to reduce heat, I would take that any day over dimming the screen every X minutes.

I hope my details help somewhat in investigating this! Let me know if I should give some more details.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I forgot to mention that at least this time my phone was charging while this was happening. But it has happened while not charging as well. And anyway, I would expect the app to manage this and still not overheat regardless of charging.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue been biting me. Been editing photos in Thailand 80+ degrees on iPhone XS. Lightroom causes the display to dim as soon as I change color temperature (no pun intended). I have to reboot phone or let it sit a while. Also seems to be draining battery when open in the BG. If I look at iOS brightness prefs they are still fully bright.., LR is taking it over, and what sucks is it is dimming the image, not the display... if I post to Instagram it's dim. Incredibly frustrating. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, only in Lightroom iOS's camera does the app override the system brightness controls.  If the screen is going uncontrollably dim relative to what you've set in iOS Settings > Display & Brightness, then your device is warm and trying to cool down.  iOS is dimming your screen, not LR.

Lightroom uses CPU resources and battery when editing and processing images, and while syncing.  This can generate heat.  Use of the device radio when syncing can also generate heat and use lots of battery, especially when the radio is struggling more than usual.  Syncing can continue for a short while even after sending the app into the background, but iOS has limits on how long and this should not be long enough to drain one's battery.  To see if LR is indeed causing your device to heat just by syncing, go to iOS Settings > Lightroom, and check if disabling Cellular Data and Background App Refresh helps.  Also, if on cellular, is your device struggle with poor or unstable service in general?  If you are on WiFi, is it a stable connection, and not too crowded?

Can you desscribe the kind of network connection used, it's stability and throughput, and is used by many people.  Also, can you  share what iOS version is running on your iPhone XS?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also have this issue, running iOS 13.x and the latest versions of LR mobile on iPhone X. I see this issue most when making many adjustments quickly, as well as pasting settings to other photos.

This is definitely due to the device drawing a lot of power, warming, and having the OS dim the screen as a result. For what it's worth, my battery health is normal.

I do like the mobile workflow more than I expected to, but having the screen dim while editing exposure is incredibly disruptive.

I'm wondering if anyone has seen a change in performance when moving to an iPhone 11 (not that that should be the suggested fix.)

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue.

Last iOS : 13.3

Last LR

iPhone 7, becomes very hot when editing RAW on iPhone. Doesn't seem to happen on iPad. (Not same heat presentation hardware system I guess, so not really a good comparison).

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for posting this! Such a frustration. 

I too have the same issue - Adobe please could this be fixed urgently? I can't believe someone posted about this in 2017 and it still hasn't been fixed!! 

I've read all the comments in this thread and I have to admit I'm very disappointed with Adobe's questions around which phone "network" we are using - even with limited tech knowledge I know this has nothing to do with the issue. 

I don't understand how Adobe can't have experienced this when testing either... anyone I speak to in person suffers the same problem on mobile! 

A lot of us use Lightroom Mobile for work, and this issue is honestly is putting me off using Lightroom all together. 

Here's the detail you request from my end:

• Device: iPhone 8 Plus

• Network: EE (UK) and using WiFi (excellent connection on both - no issues) 

• Phone Health: Phone and Battery in excellent condition, with no issues (these have been checked by a professional). 

The Problem with Lightroom Mobile:

• Digital Issue: Phone loses brightness within 3 minutes of using Lightroom to edit any photo. This includes low res photos taken on my phone, which I am literally just adjusting the brightness and contrast. 

• Physical Issue: Phone heats up on the back as described, then brightness drops - sometimes it drops twice (each time a darker screen).

• Phone Settings: remain on full brightness. 

• After Effects: Phone brightness then takes over 5 minutes to go back to normal. 

Any further info you need please ask - let's get this sorted! 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi cbattson22

CPU and battery use due to intense processing, and cellular use especially when your device radio has to work hard are known to be generators of heat.  Still, from my personal experience with the iPhone 8+, some deeper issue seems possible here.  I know these are challenging times in the world, but if possible I urge you to have Apple inspect your device to make sure there are no physical defects that you might need serviced--just saying this as a precaution, not a diagnosis.

I'm personally in a very warm climate and even in warm temperatures and direct sunlight, various phones I've used have only throttled back CPU or screen illumination a handful of times, and the one device that did this most needed its battery serviced sooner than expected.  Multiple CPU-intensive apps on my device from multiple developers were affected.  I'm not attempting to call out any particular device as problematic, or disregard your report -- we are listening.  I'm just stating that the processing you describe is intense on any device, and first steps should always be to ensure that the device you've invested in is working nornally as expected.

When you look in device settings for battery, what apps/processes are taxing your device the most?  Is it daily use apps, graphics intense apps, WiFi/Cellular intense apps, etc.?

Thanks for posting about your experience, and letting me know any additional details you can share.

Kind regards,

Charlie

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately it certainly sounds like you are not listening, and attempting to shift the problem onto something out of your hands. Really disappointed with your response.  

Just to be clear - this issue happens on both my iPhone and my partners iPhone (a completely different, newer model). Every single time we use it. I might have thought it was an issue with my phone, but it's just not feasable for you to claim it's due to the individual phone, battery climate, when so many people have raised this same issue, and all have different phone models. 

It seems obvious it's something your team has done in the design of Lightroom Mobile that is not compatable with an Apple phone (I can't comment on android). This makes it your job to fix and update (as with any apps with bugs).  

This issue with the brightness quite obviously makes the app unuseable as it is all about the clarity with photo editing. It requires urgent investigation. It seems reasonable to highlight you have lost several users from this issue alone.  

Never have I experienced a company (especially one with such high monthly charges) trying to so blatantly shift the blame onto another issue or firm, instead of taking adequate steps to investigate and resolve the matter internally.

We are your customers, and should expect the same level of service from your app regardless of the device we choose to use. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

got the same issue with my iphone 8+ and this is hyper frustrating! It only does it when I use LR CC even if my wi-fi/data connection is perfect. The phone overheats to the point that I am not able to edit more than one photo at the time per 5 mins (doing my edits super fast then wait for the phone to get back to normal). My phone works perfectly fine except for this issue so it would be great if your team could do something about it and stop implying that Apple is the problem.

Thank you

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LOL its 2021 and I got the same issues on an iPhone 12 Pro Max.. After 5 min of editing the phone gets very hot and the screen dims to a level that it's not possible to continue the work.. How can it take that long to fix it?? 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah... Adobe sucks. We need to wait for the stock to tank, then they will start developing again. Such a shame. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines