Lightroom Mobile - Low Quality Files

Community Beginner ,
Jan 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone 

I have an issue that has recently been happening quite often. I use Lightroom Classic to manage my library, make the majority of my edits, etc. 

I have everything syncing to LR Mobile, and then I make samll changes, or export for posting to my instagram. 

Lately, the mobile app has been showing alot of banding. The banding is not present on the photos in classic (as long as 1:1 previews are loaded or im working on the original). It seems like the sart preview that is displayed on the app is causing all of the problems. Is there any kind of workaround for this?

Thanks! 

TOPICS
Import and export, Problem or error, Sync, Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

thank you for reporting this.
Could you please show us what the banding looks like?
Does this happen on iOS or Android?
What export options do you use?

Thanks,
Ignacio

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Community Beginner ,
Jan 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Im using iOS

Ive tried pretty much every export setting available, and the banding remains 

In the LR Classic version of this photo (the original) there is no banding visible

IMGP3127.jpg

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

thanks for the screen shot.
Lightroom Classic normally doesn't upload high res images meaning you will have a Smart Preview in Lightroom mobile. This might not explain the banding though.

It would be interesting to know which Classic version you are using.
The image that you are sharing, what kind of image is it?
E,g. image type, camera, dimensions, profile?

Please let us know which sharing type you are using as well as the settings (tap on the circled icon) 
IMG_2278.jpg

Thanks,
Ignacio

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks for responding 

LR Classic V 10.1.1

Camera: Pentax 645z

They are all DNG or TIF

Profiles vary, but it seems to happen regardless of the profile applied 

Dimensions 8256x6192

For sharing type, I have literally tried all options. Share, Export to camera roll, export to files, export, open in. I have tried changing the bit depth, the file type, the quality etc. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update - if i export to a thirdparty cloud, i can get the images on my phone without the banding. This appears to be an issue with LR Mobile. Please advise as this is really detrimental to the experience

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you please let us know what third party cloud you are referring to and exactly how you export?

Thanks,
Ignacio

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I export a high quality jpeg (long edge 3000) to Microsoft one drive, there is no compression issue. However, that same file, as a smart preview on my phone or even the desktop LR CC, will have banding 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry if I'm picky, I have a problem following this sentence:
If I export a high quality jpeg (long edge 3000) to Microsoft one drive, there is no compression issue.

Are you trying to say that:
A. If you do export with Lightroom mobile on iOS or Lightroom CC (Win), to Microsoft One Drive you don't get banding?
B. If you do export with Lightroom mobile on iOS or Lightroom CC (Win), to any other app or to the Camera Roll, Files etc you get banding?

If so, does the banding get removed if share the image from scenario B to One Drive?

Thanks,
Ignacio

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines