Lightroom Mobile Making iPhone XS heat up rapidly

Community Beginner ,
Jun 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom Mobile is making my phone overheat.  I opened the Lightroom Mobile app on my iphone xs for the first time today.  I clicked on the camera icon to shoot using LR mobile.  Immediately my phone got hot just below the lens area of the phone.  It is almost too hot to touch.  Turning off the app stopped the heating.  Turning back on the app started the extreme heating again.  Has anyone had this problem?  Is there something I need to do or some setting to change.  It isn't usable at all with this kind of heating.  I didn't experience this when I used LR mobile on my previous iphone 6.  I haven't had any other app cause heating on this iphone xs.  The iphone xs is 2 months old.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jun 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I’ve noticed the same on my iPhone X since I got it 1.5 years ago. While it hasn’t created any problems, it is annoying. I get it usually in one of two cases:

1. Flipping through newly imported photos (I guess it is generating previews)

2. Taking many HDR photos sequentially and waiting for them to process

Sometimes it seems random, though, and not associated with any specific activity.

I usually will let any active processing complete, then force quit the app and wait for my phone to cool before restarting Lightroom. I always figured it was just LR pushing the hardware to its limits. Maybe there’s a bug involved.  If so, it might be good to report something over at Lightroom Mobile | Photoshop Family Customer Community

Mike

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As Mike already mentioned, HDR captures require processing and doing lots of this can generate some heat.  I believe it is right under the camera lenses where the device logic board and CPU reside.

I just tried my XS Max which is similar in specs to your device, and while I feel heat after processing 30 HDR captured images, it doesn't seem as extreme as the experience you describe.  I have tried both with and without the thick plastic case I usually keep on my XS Max.  I'm asking a teammate with the XS to try to reproduce what you described.

Let me ask some questions to clarify what's happening:

-- What iOS version is your device currently running? 

-- Are you on the latest version of Lightroom (4.3.1)?

-- Are you experiencing this heat during capture?  Or is this experienced after exiting the LR camera and processing your recent captures?

--What kind of images are you capturing?  Basic DNGs or JPGs from the camera's Auto or Pro Mode?  HDRs?  Or one of the experimental Tech Preview features you might enable in the app settings?

-- Are you using WiFi, or cellular?  I've noticed my own devices can get warm when the device is on cellular and struggling with low bars/signal.  This can cause a device to warm up a lot, especially when any app wants to use lots of data (not just LR syncing, but also Maps, Safari, etc).  Is it possible your cellular radio is stressed by a weak signal?  (Note: when I go to my garage where my own signal is extremely weak, and I do lots of capture processing and syncing over weak cellular, I do feel heat, but not nearly "too hot to touch."

-- What's the temperature of your environment?  Is your phone in a case that traps heat?

-- Does this continue to reproduce if you uninstall/re-install?

-- Does rebooting the device help?

Thanks for sharing details that may help us understand better what you're experiencing.

--Charlie

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
beb03 AUTHOR
Community Beginner ,
Jun 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Charlie,

Thanks for looking into this!  Here are the answers to your questions.

-- I am running on the latest iOS 12.3.1

--  Looks like I'm running Lightroom v. 4.3.1 D38580

-- Yes, I am noticing it during capture.  I will say that I think in the background the app was also going through my camera roll/phone photos and loading some photos perhaps?  I'm not sure exactly what it was doing, but it was attempting to do something with some photos upon opening the app.  But I specifically clicked on the camera icon to go into shooting mode. I tried again just now (since there are no additional photos left for it to load in the background) and it still seems like it is heating (directly underneath the camera) in the shooting mode, but definitely not as aggressively heating as what I was experiencing last night.  So maybe this has more to do with loading photos or doing that simultaneously while shooting.  Not sure.

-- I am capturing basic DNGs in Pro Mode.  Not HDRs.  No other special settings.  I was moving around the sliders for ISO, shutter speed, and WB.

-- WiFi with a good signal.

-- Inside in an air-conditioned home.  So normal room temps.  My phone has a Sonix case on it. It's one of the clear ones with the pretty painted flowers on it, so nothing overly bulky. Its thin and covers the back and sides of the phone.

-- I have not tried to uninstall/re-install the app yet

-- Rebooting the iphone didn't help.

Thanks,

Libby

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Libby

Thanks for the additional notes.  I do see that when I import lots of photos from my camera roll into Lightroom, my XS Max device warms up.  The app is doing a lot of processing when ingesting images, and when running Capture on top of that, yes the processor is being used quite a bit.  It makes sense that once importing has finished that the device is not being taxed as much and even with Capture open it runs cooler now.

I believe the iPhone OS has safeguards (ie, throttling down) to ensure the processor isn't damaged from high use/temperatures.  I'll still ping our engineers to confirm this is all expected.

Thanks!

Charlie

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines