• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom Remote Travel Work Flow Proposal

Explorer ,
Feb 14, 2017 Feb 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First off, I apologize if this has already been discussed to death.  I am a new user to this forum so please let me know if this proposal has already been made.

Also please let me know if I do not understand how Lightroom desktop and Lightroom mobile work together with each other.  My idea comes from what I know (or think I know:-).

I wanted to propose a feature that might make Lightroom more powerful and efficient on trips to other countries and remote places.

We like travel to exotic locations to capture amazing shots of nature and other cultures. These trips are usually many hours of travel and waiting for travel connections, punctuated by intense moments of capturing beautiful images.  It would be wise to take advantage of those long periods of sitting on a bus, train, plane, or waiting for a connection.  That is the beauty of Lightroom mobile, of course.  We can be using that valuable time to import our DSLR pictures into a tablet device to see what we got, and play with those shots in edit mode.

Syncing to the Creative Cloud from Lightroom is great when we have strong internet connectivity in the major cities of the world, but how practical is it in remote places?  I recently went on a trip to Scotland and I was surprised at how poor internet connectivity was in many rural areas.

The problem is this:  I am on a trip, I shot a bunch of RAW pictures with my DSLR camera and I want to see them larger to check their quality.  Let’s say I have an iPad Pro with a beautiful 1536 x 2048 Retina display and 256 GB of storage; perfect for viewing in the field.  I tether the DSLR to the iPad and proceed to dump my RAW images (at 30-50 MB each) onto the device.  I can now look at them in Lightroom Mobile, cull out rejects, make edits, get excited about what I got, and determine if I need to re-shoot.  Now Lr wants to upload them all to the cloud.  If I only kept 100 images, that’s 3 GB – 5 GB of uploads. If I kept 1000 images, that’s 30 GB – 50 GB of uploads in places where you might be lucky to get 1 MB/sec upload speed.  That’s going to take a while, not to mention most ISPs have data caps, restricting the total amount of data.

Here is my proposal:  Lightroom Mobile features a setting called something like “Sync Sidecar XMP Only Mode”. This mode allows only the metadata stored in the Sidecar XMP files to be synced to CC.  These files are around 10 KB each!  100 of them is 1 MB total.  1000 is 10 MB.  This upload is super lean and quick, even in the most unstable remote connectivity situations.  When I get home, I dump all my images from the camera storage cards to my desktop computer.  Lightroom matches the XMP files it imported on the trip (from CC) with the newly imported images, and associates those edits with the same images.  This workflow is super lean, efficient, and makes Lightroom a very valuable tool for photographers in the field.

Sure, you have to dump the images off the memory cards twice, but the iPad dump was only for culling, editing, and marking, not to keep the actual images.  All that matters is the XMP edits, tags, flags, keywords, stars, etc.   At any point, the RAW images can be removed from the iPad, the XMP metadata is retained, and you are ready to import another 1000 images.

Would that be useful to folks?  Let me know what you think.  Again an apology if this has already been discussed….

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Contributor , Feb 15, 2017 Feb 15, 2017

If LR Mobile supported XMP things would be a boat-load easier.  Likewise if the sync'd catalogue on LR Desktop did, too.

LR Mobile is a juvenile application.  It's way off from what it could be, but at the moment cost of development outstrips the benefits to the user.  I just carry a Retina MBP instead...

What's causing the massive variation in the size of your RAW files?  From the D800 mine are all between 72.5 and 73.5MB, XPro1 all 24.9MB (no variation at all, weirdly).  I guess you're using mul

Votes

Translate

Translate
Contributor ,
Feb 15, 2017 Feb 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If LR Mobile supported XMP things would be a boat-load easier.  Likewise if the sync'd catalogue on LR Desktop did, too.

LR Mobile is a juvenile application.  It's way off from what it could be, but at the moment cost of development outstrips the benefits to the user.  I just carry a Retina MBP instead...

What's causing the massive variation in the size of your RAW files?  From the D800 mine are all between 72.5 and 73.5MB, XPro1 all 24.9MB (no variation at all, weirdly).  I guess you're using multiple cameras?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 15, 2017 Feb 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your insights, TotallyUnstoppable​.  It's an interesting dance between these large large companies right now.  Apple wants people to consider the iPad as a serious tool (hence the "Pro" moniker) and they rely on companies like Adobe to legitimize the hardware with "professional" software.  Each company can add features to take it more to the Pro realm.  For example, Apple would best serve the 3rd party App developers and the public by exposing the iOS's file system, and Adobe could make their apps a serious part of an artist's portable workflow.  Each one strengthens the value of the other.  I would hope that Adobe continues the momentum behind their tablet apps because with a few tweaks, it could really liberate how and where art gets made.

I am curious to know how I can learn more about the internal decision process for Adobe when it comes to feature development for their suite of tools.  Do you have any blog, forums, or news feeds worth following?

As for the RAW file size discrepancies, mine are all around the 30 MB mark.  I used 50 MB as an example of cameras with a larger sensor.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 26, 2017 Jun 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

kudo for the proposal!

I am totally in the same situation as you Davizual!

I would love not to have to upload all the raw files while traveling...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines