• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Limit downloads of smart previews on iOS?

Community Beginner ,
Aug 10, 2019 Aug 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I‘m loving LR on iOS, especially the iPad. However, on my 64 GB iPhone I’m running out of space. It’s not the cache, it’s the amount of smart previews. 

Is there any way to limit downloads of previous photos to, say, the last year?

I don’t need access to 10 year old photos all the time.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Aug 14, 2019 Aug 14, 2019

So my solution turned out to be: delete LR on my phone, reinstall and log on.

Let it sync. Now it'll download smart previews when you scroll past the photos.

So as long as you don't scroll through all your photos, it won't cache all your smart previews.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Aug 10, 2019 Aug 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Curious if clearing your Cache might help. Tap the "three dots" menu and then tap "Settings" and then go down to "Local Storage" and tap that to open a menu that shows you the local storage on your device. There should be a "Clear Cache" button at the bottom.

I understand that doesn't answer your question about smart previews, but it could help you free up some space.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 11, 2019 Aug 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I’m afraid not, I have to clear the cache all the time to keep it at zero. I‘ll have to remove LR very soon... a real shame, as I can’t use auto-import from the camera and so on, can’t view and edit photos. LR loses quite a bit of value for me now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I try to be really judicious about what I put in my Lightroom library to save space. If I was in your position I'd probably look at going through and selecting all the old photos you want to keep and saving them to Dropbox. So they are safe somewhere and then deleting them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I’ll refrain from commenting on that as a solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 14, 2019 Aug 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

So my solution turned out to be: delete LR on my phone, reinstall and log on.

Let it sync. Now it'll download smart previews when you scroll past the photos.

So as long as you don't scroll through all your photos, it won't cache all your smart previews.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines