• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Looking for reassurance on when a delete is a delete

New Here ,
May 06, 2018 May 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've read everything I can find on this subject and I think I understand it, but I want to make sure.

At the moment I am between Lightroom Classic and Lightroom CC - not to mention Apple iCloud. I want to end up promarily in Lightroom CC, but first . . .

As I understand it when i take a picture on my iPhone using Lightroom mobile app camera the picture does NOT go to my Camera Roll - I have to share it to the Camera Roll. when I do so, it sends a full-sized copy (if I choose)  to the Camera Roll and the Camera Roll treats it as it does any picture. It is now totally independent of CC, right? If I edit that picture in CC the edits do not appear in Camera Roll copy of the same pic. If I delete the picture from CC, the Camera Roll image remains.  So sharing to Camera Roll is, in effect, a local backup for images taken with the mobile app's camera?

Similarly, any image I have downloaded form my DSLRs to Lightroom Classic and stored on external hard drives accessed by the Lightroom Classic  catalog are independent of any actions I take on Lightroom CC with those same images? Correct?  That is, I sync an image from Classic to Lightroom CC. I now edit that image on CC  - or even delete it from CC - the image still remains in Lightroom classic. The edits, of course, would appear on any copie sof Lightroom CC I have on any machine.

This may seem trivial to you all - or obvious -  but I am dealing with a quarter million images and trying my best to keep them straight and backed up. I have a good understanding of Lightroom Classic, but two days of total immersion in CC help articles and playing with my phone have left me very, very impressed - but also left my head spinning.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 08, 2018 May 08, 2018

Part one: yes, you are “exporting” a copy to your camera roll that is independent and wont update.

part two: I don’t work this way and am not completely sure of the answer. It sounds right...

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
May 08, 2018 May 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Part one: yes, you are “exporting” a copy to your camera roll that is independent and wont update.

part two: I don’t work this way and am not completely sure of the answer. It sounds right...

Melissa Piccone | Adobe Trainer | Pluralsight Author | Fine Artist

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 08, 2018 May 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

As I understand it when i take a picture on my iPhone using Lightroom mobile app camera the picture does NOT go to my Camera Roll - I have to share it to the Camera Roll. when I do so, it sends a full-sized copy (if I choose)  to the Camera Roll and the Camera Roll treats it as it does any picture. It is now totally independent of CC, right? If I edit that picture in CC the edits do not appear in Camera Roll copy of the same pic. If I delete the picture from CC, the Camera Roll image remains.  So sharing to Camera Roll is, in effect, a local backup for images taken with the mobile app's camera?

Yes, this correct, the Camera Roll is independent of Lightroom CC. (Although, if you are looking to move to just using Lightroom CC, then the Camera Roll step would not be needed, as the Photos taken by the In-App Camera sync to Lightroom CC's storage)

Similarly, any image I have downloaded form my DSLRs to Lightroom Classic and stored on external hard drives accessed by the Lightroom Classic  catalog are independent of any actions I take on Lightroom CC with those same images? Correct?  That is, I sync an image from Classic to Lightroom CC. I now edit that image on CC  - or even delete it from CC - the image still remains in Lightroom classic. The edits, of course, would appear on any copie sof Lightroom CC I have on any machine.

Pretty much yes. Edits sync both ways, Keywords mostly do not, Smart Previews only Sync from Classic, if you delete from CC it won't delete from your local Classic Files & if you delete from All Synced Photographs in Classic then it will delete from CC (or at least give you the option to).

So indeed Melissa is correct. Maybe do some test just to get familiar with it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines