• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

LR Mobile sync is so slow it's ridiculous.

Explorer ,
May 15, 2018 May 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I love LR mobile... until I need to get something out of it. Then I want to repeatedly punch myself in the face because the design of it is a complete and utter nightmare.

Mobile sync is stupendously slow. I'm not on a fast connection, but something is obviously broken with it. It takes about 30 minutes to upload a single dng file.

And, I need to use the sync because I can't just select everything and export originals. That would've been the kind of thing a normal person would build as an option into their app. But Adobe? Oh no. Let's make everything as painful as humanly possible.

Can anyone at Adobe comment on why, since the app came out, uploading has been as broken as a pile of glass jars at a barn dance?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I haven't seen the types of issues you're describing, and I routinely upload from LR mobile, even on hotel wifi networks.

It would help to understand the size of the DNG files you are uploading, and what exactly is the speed of your "not fast" connection? What kind of device are you using? How many synced photos do you have? Are you trying to sync photos taken with your phone, within LR Mobil, or from another camera app, or downloaded from an external camera?

Let's get some actionable data and we'll see if we can help you figure out what's going wrong in your case.

Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mike, well... by slow I mean about 0.75 Mbps! (that’s on wifi - yay Australia). But, if I switch to cellular data I get a 7-8 Mbps upload speed. But, even with that, there’s no change in upload speed. I tried restarting the app, pausing and unpausing the uploads... no dice. It’s always the same.

As for the dng size... 3mb or so. They’re from an iPhone 7 camera.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, an iPhone 7 takes 20Mb DNGs, more or less. Which should be 5 minutes or so at your 0.75Mb/s speed. How many photos are in your upload queue? Maybe the fact that you’re in Australia and pushing the uploads across the pond has something to do with it. I’ll reach out to one of the Adobe staff to drop in here and have a look to see if there’s anything that can be done.

I find upload speeds vary from time to time, and sometimes it’s slower, but in general it’s pretty good for me. I tend to keep all my iPhone captures in a single album/collection, and i periodically empty that collection after all the photos have synced over to my desktop.

Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Akash Sharma​, can you offer any troubleshooting advice here?

Thanks,

Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 16, 2018 May 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Mike for bringing it to our notice.

Regards,

Akash

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I choose to export the photo as original to the camera roll and then look at the size (via an exif app) the size is reported at 3mb.

I have 95 in my queue. I even took my phone to work today and set it going with a massive upload speed and... nothing happened. It’s still like watching a plant growing.

Thanks for talking to some people about it Mike... getting stuff out of LR mobile is like the bane of my existence. Love the app for everything else... but just simply transferring things to LR Classic or anywhere else is always frustrating and often ends in a pile of mess.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Reactor10k,

Sorry about the slow upload speeds with Lightroom mobile app on your iPhone 7.

Could you please check which exact version of Lightroom mobile app are you using on your mobile?

Does the app always runs in the foreground while images are being synced? Also, do you have a different mobile device available(at your home or office) to check if the upload speed are slow on Lightroom mobile app(signed in with your Adobe_ID)?

Regards,

Akash

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Akash... thanks for joining the thread!

It’s v. 3.2.1 674202

I left the app running for a while in the foreground (open). My iPad seems equally slow. A bit later today I tried again at work and then suddenly things flew along and uploaded quickly. So, either the problem has magically resolved itself, or LR Mobile just hates a slow network, and becomes much slower than other apps when uploading.

On a side note, can you comment on why people can’t select lots of files at once and export the originals?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, just to add fuel to the fire, my iPhone says everything is now synced and backed up, but in Lightroom Classic it stopped syncing with about 200 photos to go. I left it an entire 8 hours overnight and it signed me out for some reason. Now I'm signed back in, it's decided it's finished syncing.

Once again, trying to get anything out of Lightroom Mobile is a total nightmare.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As it turns out, under my folders it doesn’t show everything... but under All Synced Photographs it does.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 18, 2018 May 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please take a look at the steps mentioned in this article Problem syncing photos with Lightroom mobile to troubleshoot the Lightroom Classic CC sync not moving forward.

~Akash

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 20, 2018 May 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Akash... been there. None of those suit my specific problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 02, 2018 Oct 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Reactor10kis right...Lightroom sync is so ridiculously slow, it's not even useable. I work on a a very fast mobile workstation (see specs in profile), and keep my Adobe suite up-to-date, and both Lightroom and Photoshop are unuseable when a sync to Lightroom Mobile is occurring. I work in the apparel industry, and after returning from a photoshoot, we can have upwards of 10,000 - 15,000 images to import into Lightroom Desktop, that then need to sync to Lightroom Mobile for the team to review. I used to be able to allow images to sync in the background while I continued to work on other tasks such as editing other photos in Photoshop, but after the update to Lightroom "Classic", this is no longer possible. I lose nearly an entire days work waiting for Lightroom Desktop to sync to Lightroom Mobile, because nothing else can be done simultaneously.

I've been using Lightroom for nearly 10 years and Photoshop for more than 22 years (started on version 4.0 back in the mid-90's), and this is a huge step backwards for Adobe.

If there is not resolution soon to this issue, we will be looking for an alternative to Lightroom, and believe me there are plenty of them out there now!  Top 10 Best Lightroom Alternatives in 2018

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 27, 2018 Nov 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having similar problems. Really disappointed in Lightroom's sync speed right now. I've been trying to sync 60 photos for 3 days now in LR "Classic" (PS: Stupid name, no one wants the cloud-only version). The first day I left it overnight with no progress. I shut down LR, opened it back up and it just sits there "syncing", Today things are finally moving. It's down to syncing 14 photos over the last 5 hours.

Interestingly, if I go to my Mac's Activity Monitor, to the Network tab, it shows Lightroom having uploaded 1.9GB recently. Absolutely no way those 60 photos are 1.9GB. The only reason I use the sync feature at all is to sync photos taken on my iPhone X with LR Mobile to my desktop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 01, 2019 Jan 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having a terrible time with this as well. My uploads seem to have gone reasonably quickly (I'm getting 22Mbps upload speed), but I'm getting maybe 2-3 downloads per hour while syncing to LR Classic. My network test shows that I'm getting 100+ Mpbs. What is going on? Files are RAW from a Canon G9 and an Olympus EM-1 -- not tiny, but not huge either. There are no other downloads in progress, I've stopped all other network activity (backups, etc.). At this rate it will take weeks to finish downloading my 800-ish files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
May 11, 2019 May 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Me too.  This is freaking ridiculous.  I can't get my photos out of my android.  They are all there in LR Mobile All Photos, but I can't find most of them anywhere in my folders.  I've given up on getting anything to sync to the cloud reliably.  I just want to plug my android into my USB and get my photos.  What the hell is wrong with LRM?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 13, 2019 Jun 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am experiencing the exact same thing for 4 to 5 months now. my internet speed is 10mbps and even if I use 4G mobile data still does not resolve the problem. I leave it to sync on my ipad pro 2018 for the entire day and only able to sync 1 to 3% only. my files are raw files from my canon 6D and 5D mark iv. on my laptop the sync files also takes way to long to sync and it just stops and a lot of the pictures are still missing. this is so so so frustrating I want to throw everything out of the window. i've been trying to sync my shots from korea for 3 months now to my laptop and still not complete. and it seems that adobe is not even responding to this thread?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 17, 2019 Jun 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Aaron,

please make sure that you have finished importing all images (tap on the cloud button to open the menu).
Once all imports are done, please logout and log in again.

That should solve your problem.

Thanks,
Ignacio

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 25, 2019 Dec 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this the most clever answer you are able to give us? This is clearly a problem since ages ago, are you making any change to fix this problem?? Very annoying!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 30, 2019 Nov 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sync speed is fine for me but change images and I'm staring at a swirling circle for half and hour. Adobe has never been good at cloud. Their engineers are incompetent and their service doesn't scale to demand as it should.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 11, 2020 Jan 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm facing the same problem. I'm using the Lightroom Mobile (v. 5.1.0 93E03A) on my iPad Pro (9,7' | MLMV2LL/A) with iOS 13.3, and the synchronization process is absurdly slow. It's taking more than an hour to sync 91 photos (Canon SL2 RAW file). The iPad is connected to wi-fi (5Ghz), and it isn't an Internet connection problem because using Lightroom on my MacBook Pro (on the same network), I don't have this problem.

PS: I have no problem with downloads, just on uploads.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 14, 2021 Apr 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still an issue. Any fix provided by Adobe here?

Incrddibly slow to upload a few pictures , plus it is also draining the battery at blazing speed . Poor app overall in my experience on IPhone SE. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 07, 2021 Jul 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue. Admittedly, I'm an "on-again/off-again" app user because of this issue. My current phone takes pictures comporable to a 10 year old DSLR wihth a kit lens, and I frequently take advantage of the feature that allows you to shoot photos in dng right from the phone. But those photos stay on the phone in upload purgatory. I've tried logging out and logging in (suggested above) and sometimes it works well enough to free up one photo. I just speed tested my connection and I'm getting 9.8mbs down and 8.88mbs up so I know it's not this connection.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 07, 2021 Jul 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

*comparable - is there not a way to edit posts if you make a typo?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines