Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Mobile/Ipad only Lightroom workflow for raw files and NAS for storage

New Here ,
May 19, 2019 May 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all,

I’m looking into the feasibility of a mobile only workflow using Lightroom CC for the iPad Pro. I won’t be using the desktop version of Lightroom at all and therefore would like to avoid having to use a desktop computer as the main location for my original RAW files.

This is what my ideal workflow would look like:

- Import the raw images from an SD card into Lightroom Mobile via the camera roll. Then delete from the camera roll.

- Make my selects and edits in Lightroom Mobile.

- Ideally I’d be able to sync locally to my NAS storage and choose whether or not to keep the original files or smart previews on my iPad (Although I’m pretty sure this isn’t possible?)

- If above step isn’t possible, the sync the RAW files to Creative Cloud and back down directly to my NAS storage without having to use a computer.

Any help would be appreciated thanks!

Charlie

[Here is the list of all Adobe forums... https://forums.adobe.com/welcome]

[Moved from generic Cloud/Setup forum to the specific Program forum... Mod]

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Charlie,

If you are only using Lightroom Mobile then the only storage location is the Cloud.

The only way you could store the photos on a NAS would be to also use Lightroom Classic or Lightroom Desktop.

With Lightroom Classic, when the photos sync down from the Cloud  (ALL photos do), you could locate the downloads folder on the NAS or move them to the NAS within Lightroom.

Within Lightroom Desktop (Cloud Based) you can select external drives to store a copy of all originals.

With both the options above it should be noted that the Originals also always reside in the Cloud.

Also Lightroom Mobile manages its own space on the device. Recently accessed or imported photos will remain as Originals on the device. After a while, these will be replaced with Smart Previews and Thumbnails (unless an Album is stored locally), to save space.

You can speed up this process by clearing cache as required.

Again, if fully synced the Originals remain in the Cloud.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just one tiny (but critical) nit:

selondon  wrote

With both the options above it should be noted that the Originals also always reside in the Cloud.

(...)

Again, if fully synced the Originals remain in the Cloud.

With Lightroom Classic, once the originals are synced down to the desktop, they are replaced in the cloud with Smart Previews. Originals only are kept in the cloud when in transit from mobile to desktop. Once the sync is complete, you can’t push an original back upstream to the cloud from Lightroom Classic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 20, 2019 May 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks both,

I’m assuming there is no way to stop images uploading to the cloud once you’ve imported them into Lightroom?

It looks like I’m able to back up the files I’ve imported manually to my NAS via the ‘export original‘ feature - Will any edits I’ve made save with the RAW file (.RAF)? Or is this information that’s stored in Lightroom mobile?

Many thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 20, 2019 May 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Charlie,

The only option is to pause uploads in Lightroom Mobile, there in no Selective Sync. And yes, it uploads everything imported or taken with the in-app camera.

If you Export Original the edits won't be exported when using RAWs.

Indeed Michael, I thought I'd read something like that previously but also believe the 'truth' is in the Cloud. I don't really use Classic but did a test, and the Cloud file downloaded to Classic and the file in the Cloud still says Original Backed Up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines