Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Selective Editing brush laggy in Lightroom for iPad

Explorer ,
Nov 04, 2018 Nov 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Some weeks ago I asked a question about why the selective editing brush was so laggy in Lightroom for iPad and unfortunately I never got a proper answer.. I got a few suggestions but to be honest they where nothing different to what I had already tried.

I reached out to Adobe and after their initial “oh let us help you concerns “ they have now gone very quiet !!!  I am really disappointed in Adobe as I certainly expected better...

surely I cannot be the only person in the world that is experiencing this issue!! Let me remind you of my problem.

I am using an iPad Pro 12.9 2nd version with the A10x fusion chip ( so powerful) it has 256gb storage and Lightroom is totally up to date..

Now my issue... when I load an image into Lightroom and use the selective editing brush at first it works flawlesslay but as I move on and try to do more selective editing on the same image that is when it starts to lag!! It is so bad it becomes impossible to continue.

so has anyone had any experience with this issue.. Am I doing something wrong ? ... is it possible to work on separate layers that can be flattened later!!

I refuse to believe that I am unique in this.. Someone else MUST have also had this problem.

{Title of post edited by moderator for visibility}

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Nov 09, 2018 Nov 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So this is the best you can do.. ignore a request for help!! Let's just move it around!!

Shame on you Adobe!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have noticed this as well on the new 11" iPad Pro. I'm editing a7iii raw files and after a few selective edits the lag gets unusable. Also, the mask overlay always turning itself off makes for very difficult precise masking combined with the lag. I need to see the brush tip or something at least.

So far I have changed my workflow to get around this by doing only general color grading in lightroom, avoiding selective edits, and then jumping over to Affinity photo for local edits.

It's still quite a bit of trade off to be able to work on an iPad though. The Pencil makes some things so much quicker, but the loss of so much (quick) visual feedback may be too much to deal with for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Although I am sorry to hear you are having difficulties I am relieved to hear that someone else is having the same issue as me..

I have gone down the same workflow as you re. Avoiding selective edits in Lightroom for iPad but to be honest the question is What are we paying our subscription for!!

I find Adobe ignorance and attitude not worthy of our hard earned money because ultimately they don't care..

I say again..

SHAME ON YOU ADOBE!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While I am disappointed, I'm suspecting that the iPad hardware just has more trouble with the size of these files and the non-destructive edits. Affinity Photo edits on a render rather than the raw data and that's most likely where the speed improvement is. I still do work on the desktop, so the photography plan has value to me, but I am looking to see if there is another RAW converter/library app I can use that will let me cancel my subscription if I move my workflow to the iPad. Lightroom still has value as a cataloging tool and developer to let me know if the image is worth doing extensive edits on, so I still want something like it.

If the Photoshop version that will be coming to the iPad next year is as good as reviewers are saying and it is included in the photography plan it will be a great value next year.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What you say makes absolute sense ..My issue with Adobe is they push Lightroom for iPad as an alternative... I would like them to actually admit  Lightroom for iPad is flawed and still needs work..

I really love the idea of editing on my iPad but Adobe need to be honest and admit it is not working..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 13, 2019 Feb 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue. Same brand new iPad Pro 12.9” with Apple Pencil 2. The lag on selective edit makes it unusable. I have to go on my Mac for selective edits, using my iPad Pro as a second screen with Astropad in order to edit with the Pencil.

This is is obviously broken and it’s been broken for months. Other apps like Procreate work flawlessly with Pencil with zero lag. This is a Lightroom specific issue. I intended on replacing my Mac with a top of the line iPad Pro but my main professional app is so broken that I still need to bring my Mac around with me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 14, 2019 Feb 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it any faster if you opt to Store the (parent) Album Locally?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I have since purchased the very latest iPad Pro and the new Apple Pencil..

So far everything appears to be working fine .. I am not noticing any lag..

But Adobe should be ashamed of themselves for not addressing this

problem.... I guess all they are interested in is our money!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried making targeted adjustments? As soon as you touch the pencil to the screen, it starts painting the adjustments selection?

For me, when I tap the heal brush for example, then start drawing a selection, it’ll take about 2 to 3 seconds to start painting, then falls behind as I draw, even if I do it slowly. It often cuts off prematurely before I’ve finished drawing my selection.

Healing/Cloning is unusable on Lightroom CC on iPad Pro.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Whenever I’m working on a project on my iPad, it has been stored locally. I import on my Mac, flip the Store Locally switch on the projects I want to work on that day and head out to a coffee shop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 20, 2019 Mar 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi mapleleaf56

Please add your vote to this thread: Lightroom CC for mobile (iOS): Selective edits lag after 1 edit | Photoshop Family Customer Communit...

Our engineering teams monitor these forums and will reach out if they have any questions to help you troubleshoot or report a bug.

^Carissa

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 24, 2019 Nov 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I have this problem too. It's so bad that I have stopped editing photos on the iPad which is disappointing because I basically bought the iPad Pro to edit images when I'm on the move. I'm using iPad Pro gen 3 - 12.9" - 512mb. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 25, 2019 Nov 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What iOS version is your iPad running?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 14, 2019 Dec 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is not about iOS version, it is Lightroom apps. Now it is Dec 14 2019 and the lag issue really annoying. I can't make complex selection. Impossible other than just drawing simple squares or circles or doodling around. I am using ANDROID phone with 4GB RAM, few apps installed and a lot of unused storage space. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 25, 2020 Apr 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have the same issue on my ipad pro 2020 running OS 13.4.1 (latest) and latest version of Lightroom. 

Editing RAW files from my Sony A7III cam. First brush runs fine, second is very laggy, practically unusable...

thanks for your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 26, 2020 Apr 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi, I found a solution. In LR you can select the album in the left pane and choose to download it locally. If you have the setting on to only download smart previews, it doesn't take a lot of space. Works perfect after this, unless you already tried a selective edit on the pic, you will need to re-import it then.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines