• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Should Lightroom Mobile be renamed Lightroom Crippled?

Explorer ,
Jul 27, 2020 Jul 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I frequently photograph for extended periods of time in locations without internet. In an attempt to dump weight from my travel pack, I have purchased an iPad Pro to replace my laptop. The more I find out, the more it appears that Lightroom for iPad is going to make this impossible. I'm hoping that I have just missed something.

I don't need to complete the editing process while I'm away from home. I don't have the time. All I need is the ability to plug an external drive into my iPad Pro and create a temporary catalog that I can import into my master catalog when I return home. This will allow me to check my photos for critical focus, and maybe do a little culling and keywording.  However, it appears that I can't work off of an external drive using Lightroom for iPad. Is this correct? If so, it is a really disappointing limitation.

Let's assume that I'm correct; and that I'm willing to transfer each and every file I want to work with onto the iPad Pro. I'll add keywords, maybe make a few basic edits. But then I need to get these files off of the iPad Pro and back onto external drives WITH EDITS AND METADATA since there isn't an iPad Pro available with enough space to store six weeks of high res RAW files. Is there a way to export the Lightroom for iPad catalog and all images with edits onto an external drive? It doesn't appear so.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are ttotally correct unfortunately.

Lightroom Mobile is a Cloud Based application and does not work like Lightroom Classic that references files on a local disc within its Catalog.

The photos and edit will sync to Classic but have to go via the Cloud.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Please add your vote for the feature requests on the following forum, which is monitored by the engineering team:

https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/lan-synchronization-import-from-sd-instead-of...

https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/lan-synchronization-import-from-sd-instead-of...

The other option is would be the ability to point LrM's Catalog to an external, I haven't seen a feature request for that. I'll have a look

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines