• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Switching from LR Classic to Lightroom

Community Beginner ,
Sep 27, 2020 Sep 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Probably wrong question in wrong area, but I'll ask anyway.

Been using Classic for half-dozen years. Have 25K photos. Did not like Lightroom (CC) when it arrived. Now seems fine. So I addded all my pictures (25K) to Lightroom online yesterday. Seems to have simply uploaded them to LR as desired. Now, question is, are they there? I did NOT "migrate" or do anything involving the word migrate. I have both LR and LR Classic on my hard drive. What I think I did was copy (upload or add) all photos from "Pictures" folder (which I use in Classic) to Lightroom online. This didn't take too long. Couple hours maybe, maybe a little longer. Now I can see everything on Lightroom online (in the Lightroom Online desktop app). And the file sizes show up as they should be for various pix (I shoot JPG with Sony RX100 VI or Panny FZ1000 and iPhone, of course).

Was thinking of UNINSTALLING LR CLASSIC from HD and DELETING all pictures in the Pictures folder associated with CLASSIC, on assumpition they are now in cloud and managed by Lightroom Online.

On other hand, I have a feeling, and all my reading supports this, that the change from Classic to LR Online CANNOT be this easy.

Please advise--

fbx

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 29, 2020 Sep 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you say Lightroom online do you mean the Lightroom Desktop app, or Lightroom Web (http://lightroom.adobe.com) via a browser. It really doesn't matter actually, they should both show the same.

Yes, your full res photos are in the cloud. You should be able to confirm this by checking the cloud icon to see that syncing is complete and how much cloud storage you are using.

I think that one of the issues with importing them in they way you have done, is that any edits that you have made in Classic would not be carried over. With migration edits gets carried over and so do Collections/Folders - if you follow the instructions.

If you are happy with what is in the Cloud, the you could delete Classic and its referenced photos (best to use these as a back up) but also bear in mind there is still plenty of functionality that Classic has that isn't in the Cloud Based app.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. I have checked and it seems as if the changes I've made in Classic have, in fact, carried over to Lightroom. (the desktop app thereof). So I'm pretty sure I'm OK with that, but will do further checking.

My newest problem is that Classic, which has been set to upload/sync all photos, seems to have bogged down and gives me this/these msgs.

Screen Shot 2020-09-29 at 163428.jpg

Screen Shot 2020-09-29 at 172717.jpg

This DESPITE both Classic and Lightroom (desktop version of online LR) show the same number of total pictures available (26,000 approx). 

I also have two collections on my HD. See below:

Screen Shot 2020-09-29 at 173523.jpg

 The "All Pictures Here" folder which is where all my Classic pictures are (145 GB worth),

and the "Lightroom Library.lrlibrary" which I understand is Lightroom (Cloudy) "local" files and comes to about 150 GB.

Also most but not all picture in Lightroom (Cloudy) show up as 

Local:  Original

Cloud: Original

As far as I can figure out the changeover has worked better than expected. I suppose I COULD delete all files in CLoudy and go back and "migrate" my Classic catalog, but I'm hesitant to do that for fear that might screw things up when they do not appear to be screwed up so far.

Thanks again for your response and any further response you might have to the above.

fb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Also, I'd like to know how to get rid of LR Classic once I'm sure (or sure enough) that everything is properly transferred to Lightroom (Cloudy)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines