Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Syncing raw files from ipad to desktop

New Here ,
Dec 14, 2016 Dec 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello!

When Lightroom mobile on my iPad syncs to my desktop Lightroom will it sync the raw files from the iPad to the desktop as well as keep the edits?  If not is there a way to do this?

Also If I delete the photos from lightroom on my iPad will it delete the synced photos from my desktop lightroom?  If so how do I stop it from doing that?

Thank You so much!

Michael

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Participant , Dec 15, 2016 Dec 15, 2016

Michael,

I will assume you are using the latest versions of iOS, LR Mobile, and LRCC. If not, you will need to update. I also assume you are adding RAW files from the Camera Roll on you iPad. If so, follow the steps below:

1. In LR Mobile create a new collection and ADD the photos (RAW) from the camera roll.

2. Staring here you can edit those photos in LR Mobile as much as you want.

3. LR Mobile will sync smart previews and all edits to the Creative Cloud and they will be available on all of your de

Votes

Translate

Translate
Dec 15, 2016 Dec 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Michael,

Lightroom mobile syncs DNG smart previews of your images on iPad to desktop with your editing.

Note that to capture Adobe DNG photos, you need to have the iPad Pro 9.7 or later and the DNG capture is supported on iPhone 5SE, 6S, 6S Plus, 7, or 7 Plus

Also If I delete the photos from lightroom on my iPad will it delete the synced photos from my desktop lightroom?  If so how do I stop it from doing that?

Your synced images get stored on Cloud and if you delete them from Lr mobile, they will be removed from Cloud as well.But, if you stop the sync on your iPad and then delete images, Your Desktop will retain them until the sync is restored on your iPad(it is just a temporary workaround)

Hope that helps.

Regards,

Akash

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Michael,

I will assume you are using the latest versions of iOS, LR Mobile, and LRCC. If not, you will need to update. I also assume you are adding RAW files from the Camera Roll on you iPad. If so, follow the steps below:

1. In LR Mobile create a new collection and ADD the photos (RAW) from the camera roll.

2. Staring here you can edit those photos in LR Mobile as much as you want.

3. LR Mobile will sync smart previews and all edits to the Creative Cloud and they will be available on all of your devices (including iPhone if you have e LR Mobile installed there.

4. You iPad will also upload the original RAW files to the cloud, then down to you desktop (the RAWs will not stay in the cloud). Depending on the size, number of files, and you wifi connection this can take a good while, i.e. hours if there are a lot of them.

5. You will be able to find you RAW files on you desktop after all of this is completed. Be sure to check this before the last step;

6. Once all of this has taken place, you can deleted the original RAWs from you cameral roll on the iPad. The photos will remain in the sync'd collection. and can be edited from either device.

7. I would strongly recommend you test all of this out before trying it with important photographs.

Woody

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Sep 11, 2023 Sep 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Let me add, if you are going to continue to use LR on both devices, you should consider using LR Classic as the "home base" in your workflow. Image files then always live on your computer. When you add images to your computer's LRC catalog from your camera, you can create collections in LR Classic that will sync with the cloud, then you can cull and edit from either device. Then all your RAW files are on your local computer (or other storage you can see and touch). And you only have to deal with the collections, not the catalog (although either works, if you work on an image in your catalog and it's part of a collection, it syncs with the cloud).

And, of course, it goes without saying (but I will anyway) to have some kind of backup system set up for your local files, images and LR catalog(s). Personally, I have an external HD that I copy my Lightroom folder to, and then backup to two other external devices using Apple's Time Machine. (Been meaning to research other backup softwares out there... different thread.)

Just had a thought, if someone can confirm... would turning on "copy files from other devices" or some such preference in LRC (can't remember exactly the wording) copy the RAW files from the phone or ipad that took them to the hard drive, which makes them part of the LRC catalog? If I remember, it's all or nothing, and I turned it off because I didn't want every little thing I snapped on my phone/iPad to be in my catalog, contaminating it with screen shots for work, etc. Separation of church and state, so to speak.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines