• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Map view/module - Ability to geotag photos

Community Beginner ,
Oct 19, 2017 Oct 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm probably at the low end of the prosumer category when it comes to photography. I've been using Lightroom for a couple of years. I love the multiple platform feature on the new CC, but geotagging images has always been important for me (enough so that onboard GPS is a mandatory feature when I look for a camera). I had been adding locations to older images in what's now CC Classic. 

Are we going to get that ability in the new CC? 

Even more importantly, will the new AI-based search allow us to do things like pull pictures based on location? And, if so, will we be able to do things like define a radius? This was all possible when we had the maps panel, but seems to be challenging now.

Idea Released
TOPICS
Android , Chrome OS , iOS: iPhone , iPadOS , macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Feb 10, 2022 Feb 10, 2022

Update: GPS field is now editable as of LrD 5.0. 

Status Released

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 199 Replies 199
199 Comments
New Here ,
Dec 28, 2018 Dec 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Julie - you mentioned that reverse geocoding was already implemented. Can you share how the geolocation is stored or read for RAW files?

In my case I have RAW photos with corresponding .XMP sidecar files containing the geolocation sitting in a Dropbox Folder (which is a pain to import from with the iOS Lightroom app btw!).

When I import one RAW photo from Dropbox into Lightroom iOS, the .XMP file cannot be read and only the photo is uploaded to Creative Cloud.

When I import a second RAW photo from the same Dropbox folder into Lightroom CC on the Desktop however, the geolocation can be read from the .XMP and the location is shown in the Desktop App and searchable in any Lightroom CC App (Desktop and mobile) after uploading to Creative Cloud.

Now I am wondering if there is a way to import the .XMP file manually on the Desktop (or even mobile) after only the RAW files were being imported from mobile.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Jan 01, 2019 Jan 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I manually enter precise address of the place (coordinates are not supported by Lightroom), it shows correct place on minimap (OSM) but opens wrong place after clicking on it (Google maps). 

Or vice versa, minimap shows wrong location of that address but After clicking on it, it opens Google maps on the right place.

I think that map service should be united (I prefer OSM for many reasons), not show output from OSM but open link in Google maps without option.
Or get output from OSM and transform it into coordinates and open Google maps (ugliest maps ever) on that coordinates, not address text phrase, if you need to use Google maps for some unknown reason.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jan 02, 2019 Jan 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please can we have the facility to see all photos on a map - as is available in Apple Photos app. It's a huge help when searching for photos by location.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Jan 02, 2019 Jan 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here some workaround.
When you click on a orange location on the map, the corresponding images are highlighted in the filmstrip. You can then reach the folder by right-clicking on the picture and selecting Go to folder in Library.
You can also select all photographs and enter the location in the text search under searchable IPCT.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 08, 2019 Jan 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd love Lightroom on mobile (android) to have the gps data with the metadata and a map/geo-location features.

I must be going mad as I swear I've seen this at some point but can't for the life of me see out anywhere now.

@reynold sounds like your fix is for the desktop version 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jan 09, 2019 Jan 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Geotagged photos are really table stakes, and have been for a long time. We really need to be able to set the location of a photo by finding it on a map within the Lightroom CC app. And ideally, by importing a GPS track. But, at least, by finding a location and clicking on it in a map control. Please see Apple Photos for how to do this. Right now, I have to use third-party software to geotag all my photos before import, which adds precious minutes to my workflow. 

Also, there needs to be an ability to find and filter photos by lack of any location data, so that they can be identified for geotagging. This would be so useful for keeping a library in order. I'm not even talking about visualizing them on a map yet, just allowing us to edit them properly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 13, 2019 Jan 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

+1 on this, I really would like to see geotagging added in --it's one of the more powerful ways to sort/organize my photos. Please add this in Adobe!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 13, 2019 Jan 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I totally agree

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 14, 2019 Jan 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To reply to my own commen, there is basic location data on the web version (lightroom.adobe.com), when looking at a single photos info, maybe that's where I saw it. But no true map module

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jan 14, 2019 Jan 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To behost, IMHO web version is the most advanced of the whole CC suite (that is excluding classic). That is not a pleasant thought, though..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Feb 09, 2019 Feb 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Definitely need a map module to view all image locations as is available in Apple Photos app

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Apr 07, 2019 Apr 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Come on Adobe! This better be in the pipeline

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 23, 2019 Apr 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no view in Lightroom mobile in which you can see location data. If I open a photo, I can’t see where it was taken.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
May 11, 2019 May 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use Lightroom Classic for tagging GPS data on picture.
I want tagging on Lightroom CC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jul 21, 2019 Jul 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the geotagging feature is gone from lightroom why cant we use Bridge? Bridge has a layout that is not used by anyone that I know and you need to jump through hoops of fire to make google map concordance to work. Please find a way to get this working again. I do realize Google is charging more for their API but that still could be avoided if Bridge worked and was user friendly. It's very easy to get concordance off of Google maps in a separate window.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Brad+West  wrote

If the geotagging feature is gone from lightroom why cant we use Bridge?

The OP is referring to the cloud focused version of Lightroom rather than Lightroom Classic, which still has a fully functional Map module in version 8.x  Support in earlier versions of Classic was removed when Google changed their API licensing arrangements with third party vendors such as Adobe.

BTW, Bridge never had a map module and very likely never will. Bridge is a File Browser providing file management support for multiple applications within the Creative Cloud suite

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm so sorry if you thought I spoke of a map module in bridge. I was speaking of getting map concordance in Another Tab from Google Maps so Adobe did not have to be connected to the map by any API.

Bridge has a Metadata section you can put metadata into an image. No it is not connected to maps and as I said it has a funky format for longitude and latitude.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have a feature request then submit it through in the appropriate forum. I've include the link to the forum index below. You can decide which application your request relates to because it's still not clear to me why you keep referring to Bridge in a Lightroom forum

https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/categories

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jul 22, 2019 Jul 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Geotagging is definitely an essential missing feature for me. I liked being able to just drag and drop pictures on to a map in Lightroom Classic. This is my number 1 feature request for Lightroom CC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jul 23, 2019 Jul 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

+1 for being able to geotag photos from a tracklog

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Aug 18, 2019 Aug 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes please, this is so annoying. 12€ per month and this killer feature is still missing.
Horrible workflow, if you want to edit your raws on you iPad Pro but before have to import on PC/Mac + use Geotagger on PC/Mac.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LR Classic on my MacBook Pro, of course, shows location data and map locations on the Map module. But using the LR CC Mobile app on my iPad Pro, I see no way to view the same GPS location info? Surely there must be a way? (I hope so). Response will be appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, mapping hasn’t yet come to LR Mobile. However, there’s a bit of a workaround available...

On your iPad, you can open Safari and browse to Lightroom.adobe.com. There, you’ll find the web version of Lightroom, which does have mapping available in the Info panel:

91D29F5C-06B8-4A5D-AEC5-D183B01069FC.jpeg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much! Yes, the web version helps solve my problem. But I do hope it may be added to the app too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Aug 20, 2019 Aug 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Desperately searching for Geotagging app alternatives. Found „cascable“ (main feature is remote control for camera + download to mobile device), but raw import from SD / iPad storage doesn‘t work...

Votes

Translate

Translate