• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why is Lightroom Android so slow to show photos?

Participant ,
Jun 07, 2019 Jun 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there anything I can do to speed up photos loading? It's so slow I have to leave it for a minute or so to get a few photos up on my Samsung Tab A 2016 with S-pen. Maybe I need a better tablet? Or is it a Lightroom server limit? Or is there a setting?

My internet speed is fast enough as my photos quickly sync on my PC. If I scroll down it only tries to open the photos in view, so it is not like I can leave it for a while to load. In fact after an image has loaded as soon as I click another image, the first one needs to load again.

Often photos get stuck loading too. My tablet 's internal storage is nearly full, but Lightroom uses my SD card to store photos. I don't add them on the tablet, I just want to edit them on it. I am using a Fuji 26MP camera shooting compressed lossless RAW and fine JPG. Both are slow to load.

Any tips or ideas about what could make it faster would be much appreciated. Otherwise, I think I will have to go back to Google Photos which is almost instant. But I am willing to try things to get it working faster. I have no idea what would help. Could it be a faster SD card, more powerful tablet, more free internal storage, some LR settings, using normal RAW, or is it normal and I just have to get used to waiting about 20 seconds on average for a photo to render? Thanks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Jun 10, 2019 Jun 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi matthewuscenes,

Sorry that you are facing multiple issues with Lightroom mobile app on your Android device.

Which version of Lightroom mobile on your Android device are you using?

I'd recommend that you clear the app cache and let us know if that helps. Navigate to the below menu in Lightroom app and select "Clear Cache":

Image result for Lightroom mobile clear cache

Thanks,

Akash

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 24, 2019 Jun 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I have cleared the cache, I think thumbnails are loading faster. I am up to date using version 4.3.1.

It takes on average 9 seconds to load 11MB JPG and 13 to load a 28MB RAF raw file. If I let a photo load, then scroll to the next one, then go back... it has to load again. It does it a bit quicker but it is so tedious. It re-orders the photos too. Culling is too tedious as I have to wait, then go back when it has reordered them. It just can't connect to the cloud fast enough.

On my tablet I can download a 30 MB file in 10 seconds from AWS and I can download and install a 29MB app from Google play in 11 seconds (it may have downloaded in 4 seconds), so 9 seconds for a 11MB JPG is crazy slow, then 7 or 8 seconds when I go back to it.

There are tonnes of 1 star reviews including my issue from a guy with a better version of my tablet, who insists it works fine on iOS, but not Android. I think I will go back to Snapseed for free and local storage. Sounds like a lot of the reviews are from people who have had issues for a long time, so this isn't something that will be fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try moving the Lightroom application to the SD card as outlined at the below link. You want this setting and the Lightroom Device Info & Storage set to 'Use the SD Card.' This will free up needed space on the tablet's internal storage, which is probably causing the slow performance

Move apps to memory card on your Samsung Galaxy Tab A 10.1 (2016) Android 6.0 - Galaxy Tab A 10.1 (2...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One other thing I forgot to mention for speeding up rendering is to select the 'Info' mode as shown below. You can then tap the screen to close the right panel if you want and it will stay in the Info mode. The Info mode speeds up the rendering on my Samsung Note Pro 12.2". WHY is a mystery, but I wouldn't be surprised if it speeds up image rendering on your Samsung Tab A 2016.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 25, 2019 Jun 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Todd. I just tried Info mode and the first JPG took 13 seconds to load and the first raw 7 seconds. I already had it on SD card. But it got me thinking as the Tab only has 16GB of storage. So I tried on my better Samsung device, a Note 7 FE, which has loads of internal storage.

When I click on a photo it never stops loading. I can see them after a while but the round loading thing never goes. Its been a while since I used Lightroom on the Note so it must be a bug in an update. I can scroll to a few other photos faster, but if I scroll fast to 10 forward it gets stuck loading them forever, this is in Review mode,  Info makes the photos too small on a phone. When a photo does load and I select Edit it takes 3 more seconds for a JPG and 11 seconds for raw. But "ifs" aren't acceptable.

Just as bad is that I can't open a photo on my tablet to edit in Lightroom until it spends 5 minutes uploading it to the cloud, then I have the usual wait.

Another annoyance is that if I import a duplicate which I want to edit, it won't show. So I can either scroll through thousands of photos to find it, or simply use Snapseed or Polarr. Polarr was terrible but am giving it another try now as it and Snapseed were far more powerful for editing JPGs. Snapseed can edit raw.

They got me on the 1 year cheaper monthly fee, so it looks like I am stuck with it unless pay half of the remaining 9 or 10 months. Someone in Argentina managed to cancel theirs so I will see if Thai law sides with the consumer too, unlike the UK and US.

I feel like cancelling InDesign and Premiere Pro too. Apparently PP is nowhere near as good with h.265, so it is the perfect excuse to switch to a Mac. Not switching the tablet and phone though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 25, 2019 Jun 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's much worse than my older model Samsung Note Pro 12.2." I've already escalated a similar issue with Adobe staff and they are investigating it.

Lightroom Classic Collection Sync to LR Mobile for Android Color Management Issue | Photoshop Family...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 30, 2019 Nov 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's slow because Adobe is incompetent. Always has been. If you want something that doesn't take 20 minutes to load a file you could try Snapseed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 18, 2022 Jul 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It's amazing to see that we're in 2022 when the issue is still unresolved. I have been using cracks all my life so I've never had a reason to complain but now that I'm paying I find it absolutely outrageous that the community support is on the such a bad level. Lightroom can really be pleased that there is no serious competitor out there that matches their system that at dobbies offering otherwise I would have switched to their solution a long time ago

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines