• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Will Adobe ever consider offering us direct access to the DNG files from the Lightroom iOS app?

Community Beginner ,
Mar 12, 2021 Mar 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Will Adobe ever consider offering us direct access to the DNG files from the Lightroom iOS app?

I love the Lightroom Camera, but HATE having to jump thru hoops to export the DNG files from the app into iCloud Drive files folder.  And then having to redownload the files to my Mac.. and then ingest into Lightroom Classic on my Mac.

Can you please consider giving us direct access to the DNG files from either the finder on the Mac running Big Sur or letting Lightroom Classic directly access importing the DNG directly from the iPhone when connected.

I do NOT want a cloud solution.

I've done the USB flash drive thing where I exported and then saved to a flash drive...SLOW.

I've also tried a mostly pokey save to the local network share directly onto my Mac desktop--doesn't work well for multiple photos.

Am I missing something?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Mar 12, 2021 Mar 12, 2021

I agree with Jim, but I'll take it a step further: You state that you do not want a cloud solution, yet you export to iCloud Drive, which is a cloud solution. Why not just let LR sync to Classic as it was designed? It is very robust and happens behind the scenes, and the DNGs get safely downloaded into Lightroom Classic on your desktop without you having to do anything at all.When you try to work around, you inevitably will encounter obstacles and technical hoops to jump through.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner , Mar 12, 2021 Mar 12, 2021

Thanks for all the replies! 

Saving to iCloud was my most reliable and easy to understand way.  Fine for a few DNG's but felt it is so inefficient uploading and then downloading.  The AirDrop idea sounds good--when I get my next Mac that supports it. 😞

(There is also an option to EXPORT DNG's and save to the iPhone's camera roll but there seems to be a limit of how many it will export before it craps out. <----This option would actually be the best for me as I could directly import into Lightroom

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The simplest solution is of course to use the products as they are designed (and which you are paying for), i.e. cloud syncing them directly into Classic. However, as you don't want to use that for some reason, you need to figure out an alternative....but any alternative is inevitably going to involve some hoop jumping. Personally, I'd probably Airdrop them from the LrMobile app (basically exporting as original with Airdrop as the destination) to my Mac desktop and import to Classic from there.

Many users have requested a local Lan sync option between iDevices and the desktop running either Lightroom or Lightroom Classic, but only Adobe knows if that's ever going to happen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with Jim, but I'll take it a step further: You state that you do not want a cloud solution, yet you export to iCloud Drive, which is a cloud solution. Why not just let LR sync to Classic as it was designed? It is very robust and happens behind the scenes, and the DNGs get safely downloaded into Lightroom Classic on your desktop without you having to do anything at all.When you try to work around, you inevitably will encounter obstacles and technical hoops to jump through.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for all the replies! 

Saving to iCloud was my most reliable and easy to understand way.  Fine for a few DNG's but felt it is so inefficient uploading and then downloading.  The AirDrop idea sounds good--when I get my next Mac that supports it. 😞

(There is also an option to EXPORT DNG's and save to the iPhone's camera roll but there seems to be a limit of how many it will export before it craps out. <----This option would actually be the best for me as I could directly import into Lightroom Classic, but then again there is still the Export time from the app.)

I am now finally giving the Built in Sync via Lightroom another try.  I just had to decode the confusing paradigm of synced photos. Once the photos are in the library and don't want them in the cloud anymore, I had to right click choose "Remove from All Synced Photographs" while keeping it in the current catalog.  It also magically kept the Lightroom iOS app storage clear.  

Thanks for the enlightenment.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines