• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Write metadata to file in Lightroom Mobile?

New Here ,
Nov 30, 2018 Nov 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there!

Does anyone know if it is possible to write metadata to the raw files in Lightroom Mobile, kind of like you can in Lightroom Classic? Such as the star rating, color labels and adjustments are saved to the raw file and not only referenced within the catalog. I don't seem to be able to find that function, if there is such function at all.

I am currently using the iPad Pro 10.5" with Lightroom Mobile v4.0.2.

Thank you for your input.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 30, 2018 Nov 30, 2018

No, there’s no such thing in LR Mobile.

By by the way, in LR Classic desktop, stars, pick flags and colors are not saved to metadata, but are only maintained in the catalog. Also, metadata is written to a sidecar .xmp file if you have a proprietary raw file (Nikon NEF, Canon CR2, etc). Metadata is only written into a raw file if it is a DNG format. The proprietary formats are considered read-only and are never overwritten.

Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Nov 30, 2018 Nov 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, there’s no such thing in LR Mobile.

By by the way, in LR Classic desktop, stars, pick flags and colors are not saved to metadata, but are only maintained in the catalog. Also, metadata is written to a sidecar .xmp file if you have a proprietary raw file (Nikon NEF, Canon CR2, etc). Metadata is only written into a raw file if it is a DNG format. The proprietary formats are considered read-only and are never overwritten.

Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 20, 2019 Jan 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Michael, is this the same with LR CC for the desktop? Being able to write metadata into the original files (when JPGs) is one of the things keeping me tied to LR Classic. I'd love to switch to LR CC, but that's the biggest thing holding me back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, at the moment this is true for the entire Lightroom CC ecosys outside of LR Classic.

Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Okay, thanks. I'm trying to figure out an easy way to have my personal files be in LR Classic but then have them all synced to the cloud so I can view them in LR CC. I have lots of hierarchical keywords that I write directly to my JPGs, which is the only reason I don't want to switch. I'd love to figure out an easy way to be able to use both since I don't do any/much editing in LR CC directly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines