Highlighted

A Letter to the Lightroom Community

Adobe Employee ,
Oct 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Fellow Lightroom Users,

With the new Mac OS 10.15 Catalina release, there have been a lot of questions regarding what the impact upon Adobe products will be. As a Mac and Adobe product user myself, I can empathize with your concern.

Screen Shot 2019-10-10 at 4.33.10 PM.pngI know many of you have reached out via email to ask specific tech questions and about system requirements. I would recommend reading this thorough Helpx article written by our product experts https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/system-requirements.html. Our team is actively testing and logging known issues, and our product team is diligently at work to resolve them for the next release. We are keeping a rolling log of known bugs that we are working to address here: https://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/global/fix-macos-64-bit-compatibility-errors.html

I also wanted to do my best to address the larger question from the User community regarding CS6 incompatibility with 10.15, and the current subscription-based model. Technology innovation continues to forge ahead at an unprecedented pace, and our OS partners are releasing new versions faster and more frequently than before. Adobe must also move with our technology partners and update our applications with new OS releases to provide you, our creative users, with the best experience. If you’ve upgraded your OS to 10.15, you will discover that the installer for CS6 no longer works. Unfortunately, CS6 is built on technologically that isincompatible with the new OS at a foundational level.

If you are used to a perpetual license, the switch to a subscription may seem daunting. I remember when I made the switch myself and waiting for buyer’s remorse to set in. It didn’t. As a user, I discovered that bug fixes and improvements to the user interface were continually being updated. I was thrilled to find that my Adobe creative software was always in lockstep with my computer updates. When I had a hard-drive failure, I dreaded having to rebuild my vast Lr Catalog. I was overwhelmed thinking about the number of hours it would take to get everything back to where I had it—even having a backup. I cannot tell you what a relief it was that Lr simply downloaded all of my settings and photos from the cloud. I still reconnected my locally stored images and catalog to a newly downloaded Lr app, but a week’s long process took a whole 10 minutes.

I discovered as a user, the subscription-based model enables Adobe to respond to new OS releases actively and quickly push out new versions that address compatibility bugs and issues. Subscription-based models also allow our engineers to develop new features suggested by our user community actively.  Things might feel a little bumpy immediately after an OS release, but we are working hard to ensure that the benefits will be far greater than the temporary discomfort.

Please know that your voice is heard. My team and I regularly share your requests and feedback with our product team. Your feedback is vital to helping us address issues so that we can push out the very best product updates to you so that you can continue to create.

Rebecca

TOPICS
Download and install, FAQ, How to, Mac, Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

A Letter to the Lightroom Community

Adobe Employee ,
Oct 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Fellow Lightroom Users,

With the new Mac OS 10.15 Catalina release, there have been a lot of questions regarding what the impact upon Adobe products will be. As a Mac and Adobe product user myself, I can empathize with your concern.

Screen Shot 2019-10-10 at 4.33.10 PM.pngI know many of you have reached out via email to ask specific tech questions and about system requirements. I would recommend reading this thorough Helpx article written by our product experts https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/system-requirements.html. Our team is actively testing and logging known issues, and our product team is diligently at work to resolve them for the next release. We are keeping a rolling log of known bugs that we are working to address here: https://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/global/fix-macos-64-bit-compatibility-errors.html

I also wanted to do my best to address the larger question from the User community regarding CS6 incompatibility with 10.15, and the current subscription-based model. Technology innovation continues to forge ahead at an unprecedented pace, and our OS partners are releasing new versions faster and more frequently than before. Adobe must also move with our technology partners and update our applications with new OS releases to provide you, our creative users, with the best experience. If you’ve upgraded your OS to 10.15, you will discover that the installer for CS6 no longer works. Unfortunately, CS6 is built on technologically that isincompatible with the new OS at a foundational level.

If you are used to a perpetual license, the switch to a subscription may seem daunting. I remember when I made the switch myself and waiting for buyer’s remorse to set in. It didn’t. As a user, I discovered that bug fixes and improvements to the user interface were continually being updated. I was thrilled to find that my Adobe creative software was always in lockstep with my computer updates. When I had a hard-drive failure, I dreaded having to rebuild my vast Lr Catalog. I was overwhelmed thinking about the number of hours it would take to get everything back to where I had it—even having a backup. I cannot tell you what a relief it was that Lr simply downloaded all of my settings and photos from the cloud. I still reconnected my locally stored images and catalog to a newly downloaded Lr app, but a week’s long process took a whole 10 minutes.

I discovered as a user, the subscription-based model enables Adobe to respond to new OS releases actively and quickly push out new versions that address compatibility bugs and issues. Subscription-based models also allow our engineers to develop new features suggested by our user community actively.  Things might feel a little bumpy immediately after an OS release, but we are working hard to ensure that the benefits will be far greater than the temporary discomfort.

Please know that your voice is heard. My team and I regularly share your requests and feedback with our product team. Your feedback is vital to helping us address issues so that we can push out the very best product updates to you so that you can continue to create.

Rebecca

TOPICS
Download and install, FAQ, How to, Mac, Problem or error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Oct 10, 2019 0
New Here ,
Oct 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have Lightroom 6.14. Before upgrading to Mac OS Catalina I would like to know if it will work. According to my iMac System Report it is suppose to work. Can you conferm it?

Screenshot 2019-10-11 19.25.59.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 11, 2019 0
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Shair,

Thanks for checking before upgrading! Lightroom Classic 6.x has not been tested with Catalina and we wouldn't be able to guarantee compatibility or that workflows might not break. If you can try the OS upgrade in a non-production or virutal environment that might be best to ensure you have a way back if things don't go well. More info on which versions of Lightroom are compatible, and our recommendations on whether to upgrade your OS or not can be found here: https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/kb/macos-catalina-compatibility.html 

Regards,

Pete

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 11, 2019 0
New Here ,
Oct 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm extremely dissatisfied with the lack of support for case-sensitive formatted drives. Learning about this after the fact, and finding myself stuck with a subscription that orphans my desktop machine.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 12, 2019 1
Community Beginner ,
Oct 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Me too I am very not satisfied. I was obliged to change Photoshop and Lightroom. I really dont like this Lightroom for Cloud.

Incredible that a company as Adobe had done absolutely nothing to upgrade in 64 bits. Maybe it was wanted in order that people buy new version and use subscription.

Really me, I dont need to have my pictures on Adobe Clouds, I have already my private one.

Crazyshoot

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 19, 2019 1
Adobe Community Professional ,
Oct 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

osaffer,

You do not have to change to Lightroom for the cloud. Lightroom Classic is the successor of the old Lightroom we all know and love. It works with all your pictures stored locally, just like before. Nothing has changed!

It is updated frequently and so any issues it may have with MacOS Catalina today are being worked on.

-- Johan W. Elzenga, http://www.johanfoto.com

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 19, 2019 0
New Here ,
Nov 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I couldn’t get it to work with Catalina. Nothing but headaches. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 25, 2019 1
Community Beginner ,
Oct 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have an iMac running Mojave Version 10.14.6

Do I have to change my operating system to continue to use Lightroom Classic and photoshop with my $60 a month subscription to Adobe CC?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 26, 2019 0
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @jarvis393, no, you don't need to upgrade or

change your OS in order to use your Adobe Creative Suite Cloud Plan. I'm personally still on Mojave and run my Adobe apps without issue. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 26, 2019 0
Community Beginner ,
Oct 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been a LR user for years, and currently have LR6. I really don't want to pay monthly, I simply want to be able to use the software I've already paid for, it does everything I need it to do (and I've paid for it several times--I started with LR2).

However, just tried to install LR6 on a macOS Catalina machine, and discovered that although, as we all know, LR6 is a 64bit app, the installation program is a 32bit app!

So sure, although Catalina will only run 64bit apps that's not a problem, because LR6 is 64bit ... if you can figure out how to install it!

So A: will the installer be upgraded to 64bit so it will run in Catalina, or B: is there someway to do a manual installation and bypass the installer app?

Peter

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 27, 2019 1