Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Access to pictures on a hard disk and retouch with LR

New Here ,
Apr 25, 2020 Apr 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, 

I would like to use LR (not LR classic) and access my photo on my hard disc and not through the LR cloud. The idea would be to let the photo on my hard disk but retouch them with LR (not LR classic). Is it possible ? if yes how ? 

thanks

J.A

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad you posted this question Jean. I have a similar problem. My cloud storage is not enough to keep all my photo collections. I would like to be able to use LR CC for my collections including those on are only on my hard drive without the need to upload them into the cloud. Cheers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

🙂 Hope somebody will answer... 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom stores originas and edits in the cloud, period. That means that the only way to do this would be to stop Lightroom uploading images and edits completely, so that the upload is 'pending' forever. That might be possible (or not, Lightroom still needs to check your license from time to time, so you can't be offline forever) but I would not recommend it. I'd say you would be asking for trouble, such as having no way to make backups. You would probably lose your images and edits, sooner or later.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have all my recent photos uploaded already, however, I do have photos that are ten years older or more.  With LR Classic or the older LR5, I can still review these photos, even if I do not want to edit them.  If LR CC works only in the cloud, I may have to offload some photos to create more room to even review these photos ! Or buy more storage. This is not an ideal design at all. If I off load any of the photos that are already in the cloud, I would lose any associated edits or links to albums or folders. This is making the LR Classic more attractive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 26, 2020 Apr 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's completely logical. If you need more room on a local hard disk, then you buy an extra hard disk or you replace the old hard disk with a new and bigger one. Lightroom stores originals and edits in the cloud rather than on a local disk, so if you are running out of cloud space you'll have to buy more cloud space. If you don't like that idea, then Lightroom is not for you. Stick to Lightroom Classic in that case.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks it sounds very clear.

I hope then that Adobe will drop the price of cloud storage... That would
be the best solution !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your post Johan.  You are correct. There are features in LR CC that I like and will stay with it - no going back to Classic.  I am trying to find things that I could do at my end to make it work. One  bad habit that I have over the years is just dumping all my photos into my harddrive and the LR catalogue.  Like you said, when the drive is full, I upgrade to a bigger one.  I think working with the cloud, however,  I will have to ensure that I am more selective in the photos that I keep.  As you know, it is common to take several shots of the same scene.  Do they all need to be kept ? I doubt that.  A little bit of discipline will not hurt. Its a challenge that I am going to accept. I hope to continue to visit this forum to learn how the other users are finding ways to optimize their use of LR CC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't understand why some users keep referring to going "back to Lightroom Classic". Lightroom Classic is still being developed. Lightroom is NOT an upgrade or a replacement for Lightroom Classic, it is a different program, different features, different approach, different services for a different type of user. Use one or the other, or integrate the two if you must to fit your needs. Lightroom Classic is not the "old" version. I use Lightroom Classic, have my catalog and Lightroom Classic installed on an internal SSD, and have my images scattered across two internal hard drives and two external hard drives, and have plenty of hard drive space. I have Lightroom integrated into my workflow and utilize it to bring images from my iPhone into Lightroom Classic. It all works very smoothly. But I don't try to synchronize editing between the two programs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Going back because the cost of storage on the cloud is much much higher
than a hard disk... That's all...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 27, 2020 Apr 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

If you have used Lightroom Classic before, then switched to Lightroom but decided that was a mistake, then you are 'going back' to Lightroom Classic if you decide to switch again. Just like you can 'go back home'. That has nothing to do with thinking that Lightroom Classic is an old version.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines