• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Portfolio Integration w Lightroom: option(s) to reimport images to optimize site performance?

Explorer ,
Aug 04, 2020 Aug 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello. I have an Adobe Portfolio site that contains many (1000s) of images. All of the images on the site were populated via Lightroom CC integration. I would like to now optimize the performance of the site. To do so, I recognize that I need to reformat my images to lower resolutions. I also understand that I can export the images via Photoshop for optimal web viewing and then upload them into Portfolio. Given the large number of images that I have, however, this will be extremely time-consuming.

Is there another option, hopefully somewhat automated, that folks can suggest?

Thanks in advance for your help!

PS: I chose to use Portfolio rather than another platform, such as WordPress because I found the Lightroom integration very appealing.

- Mark

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 07, 2020 Aug 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Start over.  Optimize your best images for the web.  Place them in a new dedicated web Album.  The Lightroom import limit is 500 images per album.  See links below.

https://help.myportfolio.com/hc/en-us/articles/360036720853-How-the-Lightroom-integration-works

https://help.myportfolio.com/hc/en-us/articles/360036264774-Re-importing-Lightroom-albums

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use Photoshop's Export As panel to optimize your JPGs for the web.  DO NOT use legacy Save For Web because it's outdated.  That's why it's called legacy. 

Reducing image quality and scale further reduces bandwidth which promotes faster loading web pages.  See screenshot.  

File > Export > Export As > JPGFile > Export > Export As > JPG

See link below. 

https://help.myportfolio.com/hc/en-us/articles/360038360914-Formatting-Images

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nancy, you didn't really answer my question. In fact, it doesn't even appear that you looked at my site. I have MANY albums (one per walk) and over 30K images. I recognize that I'm not using Portfolio (Behance) in the traditional fashion to show my "best images," but if there isn't a semi-automated method (script, batch export, etc.) available to leverage the Lightroom <-> Portfolio integration, then I'll probably look at an alternative platform.

- Mark

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

P.S. A few days ago, I asked folks on Flickr for recommendations - https://flic.kr/p/2jt67bd

- Mark

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 08, 2020 Aug 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Regardless of which platform you use for your site,  you must optimize images for the web BEFORE you upload them to your site.  I showed you how to do that in Photoshop.  Of course, you can automate the optimization process with Photoshop's Actions and Batch processor.  See links below. 

Best of luck with your project!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Nancy. I appreciate the resource links. It looks like I'll need to use Photoshop in my Lightroom-Portfolio workflow, which I had hoped to avoid.

When Adobe introduced Lightroom CC <-> Portfolio integration, I hoped they would eventually provide a capability to enable the customer to select an image optimization factor/variable as part of the upload process. In essence, what I assume the Photoshop batch process will support. Perhaps this could be a feature request? 

P.S. I'm an IT veteran, so I've got a pretty good understanding about data optimization, data movement, data integration, metadata, cloud computing, etc. Although I think Portfolio is a pretty good no-coding website builder product, I also think there is room for improvement.

- Mark

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Feel free to submit your Portfolio feature requests directly to the Portfolio Team where the developers will see them.

Contact Portfolio

Be careful what you wish for though.  As a web developer, I've looked at "image optimizing processes" for servers.  And if I'm honest about it, they all suck.  Stripping meta data and overly compressing files to save a couple of KBs isn't ideal unless you're running a site the size of Facebook with 2.6 billion users and a gazillion images to host.  Personally, I prefer to optimize on my own and not have my images stepped on by the server.  Just my 2 cents.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines