Highlighted

Advantages of Adobe Photoshop Lightroom version 3.4 over version 5.0

New Here ,
Oct 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had version 5.0 for some time and it seemed good for all my needs except for one thing - merging photos. Version 3.4 can do this. This seems to be a subscription model and I have taken out a subscription for it to merge some photos.. I've now done that. Are there any other advantages of 3.4 over 5.0 that I should continue with the subscription for?

I am of course very puzzled that 3.4 seems to have tools that 5.0 doesn't.

TOPICS
Feature request

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Advantages of Adobe Photoshop Lightroom version 3.4 over version 5.0

New Here ,
Oct 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had version 5.0 for some time and it seemed good for all my needs except for one thing - merging photos. Version 3.4 can do this. This seems to be a subscription model and I have taken out a subscription for it to merge some photos.. I've now done that. Are there any other advantages of 3.4 over 5.0 that I should continue with the subscription for?

I am of course very puzzled that 3.4 seems to have tools that 5.0 doesn't.

TOPICS
Feature request

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Oct 05, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Oct 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom 5 and Lightroom 3.4 are different apps. LR5 was obsoleted about 5 years, being replaced by LR6. LR6 in turn was replaced by LR7, but was renamed at that point to Lightroom Classic. Lightroom Classic is currently at version 9.4. At the same time as Classic was introduced, a similar but separate app was introduced, confusingly given the original Lightroom name, and which is now at version 3.4, so that is what you appear to be using. Both Classic and Lightroom are subscription-only, and are available together in one of the Adobe Photography subscription plans, though there is also a Lightroom-only plan. The major difference between Classic and the new Lightroom is that like LR5, Classic manages images from the local hard-drive(s) whereas Lightroom stores the images in the Adobe cloud. Being a newer program, Lightroom does not yet have all the functions of Lightroom Classic, but the edit tools are broadly similar (as both use the Camera Raw engine for image development).

Here's a blog post setting out the differences between the two current offerings, which may help you decide which, if any, subscription you might want: https://www.lightroomqueen.com/lightroom-cc-vs-classic-features/

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 05, 2020 0
New Here ,
Oct 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. I paid $100 for LR5 in 2014 and it still works so I think I'll stick with that. I don't really want to pay a subscription fee for merging photos as it's not something I do very often, and I'm not aware of any other features I need.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Oct 05, 2020 0