Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Backing up Lightroom (not Classic) albums on hard disk

New Here ,
Dec 09, 2020 Dec 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Hobbyist photographer using Lightroom on my iPad for editing/organizing photos. I'm wondering if there is an easy way to backup photos, both raw and edits, from Lightroom to an external hard disk for redundancy? As of now I've been backing up Raw photos straight from the SD card, not hard but can be cumbersome if I want to elimate all the garbage photos that I don't want (and have already eliminated from LR albums). For edits, the only way I can think to do so would be to fully export the photos and copy them to the external which also seems cumbersome and slow. Also curious if the community thinks this type of backup is necessary or would you simply trust LR and Adobe as a single cloud storage location? Thanks in advance!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 09, 2020 Dec 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm also only a hobbyist and all my photos in Lightroom's Cloud, I also copy to an external HD pre-import. I think most 'photographers' would. 

I do trust Adobe's Cloud Storage though, I've been using it since 2013 with Adobe Revel and now Lightroom.

You cannot currently export RAWs with a xmp sidecar from Lightroom Mobile.

If you have Lightroom Desktop in your subscription also, you can export Original + Settings from there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 10, 2020 Dec 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the response. I'm still super new to all the backups and workflow stuff. Just so I understand your method fully, you personally back up your originals pre-import to an external, but don't do any sort of additional backup outside of the adobe cloud of the edited versions?

As for additional ways to backup edits, etc I've only seen 2 ways really. The downloader app that can be used on a desktop that exports RAWs with the xmp sidecar (somewhat inconvenient as it always exports the entire library with ability to select what to backup or how to organize), or like mentioned above, exporting the original + settings from the LR desktop version.

Honestly I have no idea what an xmp sidecar is/does, or how that varies from the Orignal + Settings export, or how any of that really varies from me just doing an export of my edited albums to an external. I'm guessing the last option exports edits "baked in" while the other options remain non-destructive somehow of the original file?

Anyway, thanks again for any input. Still just trying to decide if all the shenanigans is worth while or just leave it all with Adobe and forget about it, but as it's up to individual preferences it's hard to answer that for someone else, I know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 10, 2020 Dec 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That's correct, I only back up without edits. I'm a really low level hobbyist though and rarely spend much time editing anyway. I wouldn't use me as a yardstick!

Exporting as Original + Settings is the same as RAW + xmp sidecar (which is a metadata file that includes your edits). And yes, if for instance you export a jpeg, then these edits would not be reversible. Another option is to export and archive as DNG format which retains the edits within the file.

The downloader tool is mainly meany for exiting the Cloud Ecosystem.

It's always worth keeping some kind of backup and if you value your edits, then I'd see no reason not to back these up also (apart from the hassle of course).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines