• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Backup prompt not showing on exit anymore.

Contributor ,
Feb 17, 2020 Feb 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the past every time I exited LR I was asked if I wanted to backup, usually on a weekly basis.  I don't seem to get the prompt anymore and my latest backup is some weeks ago.  Has anything changed in the last update to stop the prompt?  In my LR prefs it says weekly backups.  I am running LR 9.2 on Mac OS Catalina.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 18, 2020 Feb 18, 2020

Thanks for screen-clips.

it is set up for a weekly backup.

Change it! The drop-down menu will give you the options. I personally prefer the "every time Lr exits" as you do get a choice to "Skip the backup" if little work has been done.

ScreenShot128.jpg

"...the latest backup is 8th Jan although I have exited LR today so should be todays backup, yes?

You should see at least a 'weekly' one, I would think.

BUT-More Importantly! You should NOT be backing up the catalogs to the same drive/folder location as your Mas

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Feb 17, 2020 Feb 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From the Main Menu- check your catalog Settings.  (is that [Cmd+Alt+,] on a Mac? )

Change the option for Backup frequency there.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Feb 18, 2020 Feb 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you.  

Catalogue settings below.  As you see it is set up for a weekly backup. But as you can also see in the second screen grab that the latest backup is 8th Jan although I have exited LR today so should be todays backup, yes?  I did optimize yesterday - whatever that does! Is there any way you can physically do a LR backup to get around all this?  I always used to get a prompt when exiting asking if I wanted to backup or not, but don't get this anymore.  Totally confused!  Appreciate any help.

Screenshot 2020-02-18 at 11.38.33.png

Screenshot 2020-02-18 at 11.45.37.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 18, 2020 Feb 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for screen-clips.

it is set up for a weekly backup.

Change it! The drop-down menu will give you the options. I personally prefer the "every time Lr exits" as you do get a choice to "Skip the backup" if little work has been done.

ScreenShot128.jpg

"...the latest backup is 8th Jan although I have exited LR today so should be todays backup, yes?

You should see at least a 'weekly' one, I would think.

BUT-More Importantly! You should NOT be backing up the catalogs to the same drive/folder location as your Master Catalog. If the drive fails you have lost everything. Catalog backups MUST go to a separate physical drive!

AND- maybe you have been doing this which might explain why you do not see any after 8th Jan.

The choice for Backup location is within the Backup dialog when you close Lr.

I did optimize yesterday - whatever that does!

In general terms- Tidies up the catalog, removing un-necessary data, possibly compacting it. Check it to do so in the Backup dialog.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Feb 19, 2020 Feb 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks.  I changed the backup frequency to "every time Lr exits" as you suggested and it then showed the prompt.  I shall now keep it as that as you say.  

However I don't understand the following.

"BUT-More Importantly! You should NOT be backing up the catalogs to the same drive/folder location as your Master Catalog. If the drive fails you have lost everything. Catalog backups MUST go to a separate physical drive!"

Sorry I do not understand this point. What do you mean by "Master Catalog"? Are you saying that I create a folder on an external drive for all backups to be saved in but keep the "data folders" etc on the main LR folder?  Also all my existing backup files. Do they need to be copied across?  Will this still work? But then what if the external drive fails?  Surely this carries the same risk?

I apologise for my lack of understanding on this and appreciate your advice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Feb 19, 2020 Feb 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

After a search I found this 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJ2bj1Jal2Q 

Very interesting but a bit overwhelming, but I now get some of the gist of what I think I should do and also answers some of my questions.  Just got to buy another external drive now and follow all your advice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines