Highlighted

Barrel distortion after DNG-import of converted Sony AWR Raw-Pictures

New Here ,
Nov 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am working with Lightroom 5.7 which cannot import the Sony AWR-files (not recognized). So I convert the AWR-files (Sony a6400) first with Adobe DNG Converter. Then I import the DNGs to lightroom, which works perfectly - BUT: I see the imported DNGs in the Lightroom gallery as they should be - but only for a few moments!! then "automatically" these pics one after the other are transformed into having a terrible barrel-distortion. They are kind of "jumping" in front of my eyes from non-distorted pics into distorted pictures. (JPGs are fine, no distortion). Has anybody an idea WHY this happens or what I could do to avoid this? I would be really happy to get some advice.

Thanks!

Topics

Feature request

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Barrel distortion after DNG-import of converted Sony AWR Raw-Pictures

New Here ,
Nov 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am working with Lightroom 5.7 which cannot import the Sony AWR-files (not recognized). So I convert the AWR-files (Sony a6400) first with Adobe DNG Converter. Then I import the DNGs to lightroom, which works perfectly - BUT: I see the imported DNGs in the Lightroom gallery as they should be - but only for a few moments!! then "automatically" these pics one after the other are transformed into having a terrible barrel-distortion. They are kind of "jumping" in front of my eyes from non-distorted pics into distorted pictures. (JPGs are fine, no distortion). Has anybody an idea WHY this happens or what I could do to avoid this? I would be really happy to get some advice.

Thanks!

Topics

Feature request

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
New Here ,
Nov 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ó

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Nov 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let me move this to the Lightroom forum for you, where you are more likely to receive an answer to your question.

Note that the Community Help forum is for help in how to use the Adobe Communities. Product questions should be posted in the associated product community.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds like a (wrong) lens profile is applied automatically. In the Develop module, choose 'Develop - Set Default Settings' and click the button to restore the default Adobe settings.

-- Johan W. Elzenga, http://www.johanfoto.com

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Johan. In these develop- settings even the camera ILCE-6400 is identified correctly, and I am asked, if I want to actualize or go back to Adobe standard settings. Both I tried, ist doesn't change anything when re-importing the pics. In the develop- lens profiles I can use an existing profile and correct the distortion somehow, but not satisfactory.

Christiane

p.s. Your wildlife pics are wonderful!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you post an example of such DNG file and the original raw file (via a Dropbox link perhaps)?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI Johan, here they are:

Converted to DNG: https://www.dropbox.com/s/uxa4eknnqzqww5o/_IMA1084.dng?dl=0

Original ARW-file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/tivcv99unmh9c4j/_IMA1084.ARW?dl=0

Remarkable is, that in the dropbox preview already the original .arw-file appears distorted (it doesn't appear so in my local picture viewer). Also Photoshop imports the pictures "distorted". I have noticed, that a few of my ARW-Files had some sidecar-files added evidently by camera-accompaning picture-editor, (Play-memories-Home) which I had had running before. Interference or what?

Greetings, Christiane

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Nov 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I open both files in the latest version of Lightroom or Photoshop they are both fine. What happens is probably this: Cameras like this Sony have lenses with large distortions, but they also have a built-in lens profile for correcting that. This is as designed, because this way the physical lens size can be smaller. When I open the raw or dng file in Photoshop or Lightroom, that built-in profile is automatically applied. I could not even turn that off if I wanted to. In your old version of Lightroom this was probably not supported yet, and so your version of Lightroom does not apply that built-in profile. The only solution might be (apart from upgrading Lightroom, of course) to use the supplied Sony software to convert the raw files to 16 bits tiff.

You could try if it makes a difference if you trash that sidecar file first. You don't need it anyway.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Johan, this is interesting what you say about lens "programming".
Well, the Sony software is not even able or rather unwilling to provide a tool to work its own Raw Files(!) and invites to use an external editor. Save as 16 bits tiff??! Asked really tooo much -  it is unable to save in any different format than jpg. The way to heaven is only by upbuying? I finally found in Lightroom still another (old) Sony-lens profile that works almost perfect. Interestingly, it busts the pic into a lot of noise (some evidently automatic noise reduction?), but can be completely reversed by manual noise reduction.

Thanks for your help and explanations!

Christiane

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines