Highlighted

Beginners info required for Tone Curve and Point Curve

New Here ,
Apr 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, new to photography and lightrooms here...

Trying to learn everything I can before I edit my honeymoon pictures (South African safari). I'm finding it hard to find specific information regarding Lightrooms CC in general as most guides are for the Classic.

Anyway.. I can't find a detailed defination of the difference between the Tone Curve and the Point Curve - and how to use them. Would someone mind pointing me in the right direction ?

Thank you,

Bradley

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by WobertC | Adobe Community Professional

The Guides for Lightroom-Classic can be adapted for Lightroom-Desktop (Lightroom on a Laptop)

Basically there are two views in Lr-Desktop (and Lr-Classic)-

1) Tone Curve:  Where you are limited to a large degree and can only move the curve in sections (Shadows, highlights, etc). You will see a grey area appear when you use the Curve in this manner, and only one point on the curve that slides up/down. (Basically doing the same as the Tone sliders in the 'Light' panel would be doing)

ScreenShot032.jpg

2) Point Curve: Gives you free-rein to add multiple points to the curve line and move them any-which-way you want.

In 'Point-Curve' mode the Curve panel works in a similar manner to most other software (eg. Photoshop)

ScreenShot033.jpg

https://digital-photography-school.com/make-color-adjustments-using-tone-curves-lightroom/

TOPICS
How to, Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Beginners info required for Tone Curve and Point Curve

New Here ,
Apr 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, new to photography and lightrooms here...

Trying to learn everything I can before I edit my honeymoon pictures (South African safari). I'm finding it hard to find specific information regarding Lightrooms CC in general as most guides are for the Classic.

Anyway.. I can't find a detailed defination of the difference between the Tone Curve and the Point Curve - and how to use them. Would someone mind pointing me in the right direction ?

Thank you,

Bradley

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by WobertC | Adobe Community Professional

The Guides for Lightroom-Classic can be adapted for Lightroom-Desktop (Lightroom on a Laptop)

1) Tone Curve:  Where you are limited to a large degree and can only move the curve in sections (Shadows, highlights, etc). You will see a grey area appear when you use the Curve in this manner, and only one point on the curve that slides up/down. (Basically doing the same as the Tone sliders in the 'Light' panel would be doing)

ScreenShot032.jpg

2) Point Curve: Gives you free-rein to add multiple points to the curve line and move them any-which-way you want.

In 'Point-Curve' mode the Curve panel works in a similar manner to most other software (eg. Photoshop)

ScreenShot033.jpg

https://digital-photography-school.com/make-color-adjustments-using-tone-curves-lightroom/

TOPICS
How to, Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Apr 16, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Apr 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ScreenShot032.jpg

ScreenShot033.jpg

Regards. My System: Lr-Classic 10.0, Photoshop 22.0, Lightroom 4.0, Windows-10. Nikon DSLR.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 16, 2020 0
New Here ,
Apr 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. I think I get it now... it's the same axis for both charts but Tone Curve is targeted and the Point Curve offers more freedom.  

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 17, 2020 0