• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Best workflow for importing into Lightroom at 600dpi.

New Here ,
May 23, 2020 May 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I save my RAW photos at 600dpi JPG and import into Lightroom.  Lightroom changes them to 240dpi.  I haven't found a way to leave my photos at 600dpi on the Import.  Is there a way to change this?

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 23, 2020 May 23, 2020

I have several questions:

1: Which version of Lightroom do you use?

2: Why do you 'save raw photos as jpeg' and then import them into Lightroom? Why not import the raw photo itself?

3: How do you see that Lightroom changes the ppi (not dpi)? When you export them again?

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have several questions:

1: Which version of Lightroom do you use?

2: Why do you 'save raw photos as jpeg' and then import them into Lightroom? Why not import the raw photo itself?

3: How do you see that Lightroom changes the ppi (not dpi)? When you export them again?

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1) Version 3.2.1

2) Processed through Canon Photo Professional before processing in Lightroom.

3) When importing into Photoshop and changing photo size to display online, it shows you the DPI as 240 not the 600 I initially had it set at.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks.  I didn't realize I could just import the raw images into LR. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Edit in Photoshop sends a new copy to Photoshop. The default ppi setting for that is indeed 240 ppi. Remember that ppi means nothing, unless you print an image and the printer honours that setting. In practise hardly any printer does that (almost all printers look at the total number of pixels and the desired print size, and calculate the ppi based on that), so ppi is pretty much irrelevant.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By the way: the ppi is irrelevant for online display. Only the size in pixels is relevant.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 11, 2021 Jan 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

1.  Unsure of LR version-have just-or am installing

2. Imported from sony a77II camera-Sony input

3. I don't know-just used to importing directly from my camera's microchip inot my laptop

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines