• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Brush Tool in Lightroom CC

New Here ,
Mar 22, 2021 Mar 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have Lightroom CC (NOT Classic, for which there seems to be tons of great documentation and features, only half of which work with CC). I was trying to use the brush tool. First I simply wanted to toggle the mask overlay on and off. I believe O used to be the shortcut, right? Doesn't work in CC. Okay so I right-clicked on the "handle" for the selected brushed area and clicked something which now shows ONLY the mask overlay and doesn't let me exit it. The handle is gone. The O shortcut doesn't work. Any ideas? (Bonus question: Is there a way to toggle just the brushed area to see before and after, similar to what \ does for the entire image?) Thank you!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 22, 2021 Mar 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do not think that [O] is a keyboard shortcut in Lr.

Best I can suggest is [Right-Click] with the Brush cursor on the image (not the Brush tool) and select "Cycle Overlay".

Then [Shift+O] will toggle the overlay (when visible) Red<>Green.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 23, 2021 Mar 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"O" is the correct shotcut when using the brush tool (but doesn't appear to work with the Radial or Linear Gradient). It toggles between "Show Tool Overlay", "Show Mask Overlay", "Show Tool & Mask Overlays", "Hide Overlays".

But the right-click>Cycle Overlay option is available in all of the Selective tools.

Shift+O toggles the Mask overlay colour between Red and Green.

EDIT: After resetting the preferences, the "O" shortcut is now working in all three of the selective tools, so it might be worth trying that (to reset Preferences, hold down Shift+Alt/Opt when starting Lightroom)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for responding. So I did restart while holding down SHIFT+ALT. Now the O shortcut shows some options as I click it (blue label pops up describing the option). But the red/green overlay still doesn't appear in my masked area. Worse, since I restarted, it lost the last changes I made to the image I've been working on. I had added two or three other brush selections, all of which are now gone. Only the first one is still there. I didn't think I had to manually Save anything before exiting with this tool... 

No mask overlay

bvy_0-1616507988947.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Assuming you have actually painted a mask, check the flow setting for the brush, and make sure it's not too low. Increase it all the way up to 100 to verify that you see the mask, then turn it down to whatever value you want.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. The flow setting is fine. The O shortcut was working, now it's not. I have to right-click and select Cycle Overlay to toggle through the options. I've tried clicking the handle and elsewhere to make sure I was "in focus" for the shortcut to work. What am I doing wrong? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

"The O shortcut was working, now it's not."

My experience also! Lr v 4.2 in Windows-10 (Dell XPS13 laptop)

It was not working for me when I replied in my earlier post!  (the reason I thought that [O] was not a shortcut!)

Restarted Lr and [O] working again. An intermittant 'Bug' maybe- but I cannot pin down why it stops working.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines