• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Bulk import xmp sidecars with raw

New Here ,
Apr 18, 2019 Apr 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a folder of raw CR2 files along with corresponding XMP sidecar files that I can open together no problem in Lightroom Classic but would now like to import to CC.  The only way I can find to import the XMP files is as presets, which is pretty unmanageable for a large number of files.  Is there an efficient way of importing the edits alongside the images?  Would it be simpler just to convert to DNG?

In particular I'm looking for an efficient way to move folders in and out of CC as necessary--when saving photos to a local drive Lightroom CC offers RAW + XMP or JPEG as the only alternatives, so it seems reasonable to expect I should be able to import using the same paradigm.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 18, 2019 Apr 18, 2019

When you import a raw file into Lightroom CC and that raw file has an XMP sidecar file, then the edits in that sidecar file will be applied to the image after it has been imported. You don't have to import the XMP file itself, just import the raw file. You won't see the edits yet in the 'Add Photos' dialog, but once the photo has been imported you will see them. Metadata such as ratings don't seem to get imported as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you import a raw file into Lightroom CC and that raw file has an XMP sidecar file, then the edits in that sidecar file will be applied to the image after it has been imported. You don't have to import the XMP file itself, just import the raw file. You won't see the edits yet in the 'Add Photos' dialog, but once the photo has been imported you will see them. Metadata such as ratings don't seem to get imported as well.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tried this earlier and didn't seem like the metadata was loading--looks like it was after all.  Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 10, 2019 Aug 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know it's working and the question was answered, but there's a problem with it. If you had copies of one photo with multiple different edits, saved with sidecar files; LR will import only one pair and claim the other is a duplicate. Can't see a way around it, other than a preset... Any other clues? Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 11, 2019 Aug 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

adam30140095  wrote

I know it's working and the question was answered, but there's a problem with it. If you had copies of one photo with multiple different edits, saved with sidecar files; LR will import only one pair and claim the other is a duplicate. Can't see a way around it, other than a preset... Any other clues? Thanks

Lightroom Classic supports the so-called ‘virtual copy’, which is an extra set of metadata that belongs to the same image. Lightroom CC does not support this (yet).

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 13, 2020 Dec 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You don't have to import the sidecar (XMP) file but you won't see the edits after import either. That's what creates the confusion - and one starts wondering if the XMP file needs to be imported as well. The answer lies in a small double arrow icon on top left corner of each photo thumbnail in the filmstrip like this:

Image 3.jpg

Whenyou click on that double arrow icon, a pop-up dialogue like this appears:

Image 4.jpg

You can then choose to build only that image from the sidecar file or build all in the folder, sitback and let Lightroom load all the settings from the sidecar file.

All the flag related information will be lost however. I don't know how to get this back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You revived a 1.5 years old thread, and you are talking about the wrong application. The thread is about Lightroom desktop, not Lightroom Classic.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The issue is still relevant, isn't it? Yes, I was talking about Lightroom
desktop too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, you're not. Those screenshots are Lightroom Classic screenshots, and the option to import with embedded previews is a Lightroom Classic feature only. Lightroom desktop is not the same as Lightroom Classic!

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 04, 2024 Apr 04, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This actually solded my problem! Thank you so much for "reviving an old thread"! I appreciate the info. 🙂 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 04, 2024 Apr 04, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Good for you @Nicole5C0C , Cheers!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines