• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

buying new Mac laptop with LR in mind

Community Beginner ,
Aug 17, 2020 Aug 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am curious how LR will operate on a new Macbook Air with intel i5 processor and 8gb of ram. I am not planning on heavy post processing. I mostly need a laptop for importing and storing images while I am traveling. I know I could use external hard drives for this, but I am also interested in a laptop for light duty email and web browsing to replace an older, Windows model.  I am leaning toward the new 13-inch Air for reasons of affordability (and the fact that I have iMac at home and iPhone), but not sure how LR will function doing rudimentary importing, keywording, sorting, etc. Any input will be appreciated!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think it should do all the things you mentioned without a problem. Some are now going for the iPad Pro rather than the MBA and using a camera connection kit to get images into the Lr app and into cloud. Once in the cloud they can even be downloaded into LrC.

I suggest you also enquire in some of the Apple forums. Here is one link:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/2020-mba-lightroom-performance.2228124/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. Very helpful advice!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Keep in mind that Lightroom uploads everything to a cloud, so you don't need a lot of hard drive storage. If you want your photos stored on hard drives you should Lightroom Classic instead. If you use Classic, you need a laptop not an iPad.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 18, 2020 Aug 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would be possible to use Lr mobile on the iPad and Classic on the iMac if you are subscribed to a Photography Plan. But as Theresa says if you want to use the desktop software on the go then you would need a laptop.

N.B. You cant install older versions of Lightroom on a new Mac running Catalina OS. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 18, 2020 Aug 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks. I should have mentioned I subscribe to the photography plan and my primary LR use is the desktop LRC. I was worried about the MacBook Air not having a dedicated GPU, but it sounds as if that won't be a problem for light duty LRC tasks. The cloud-based approach with later transfer to LRC desktop is a good option to consider as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines