• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can I move my Lightroom Library.lrlibrary to an external drive?

Explorer ,
Nov 25, 2017 Nov 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've discovered that Lightroom CC (after migration of my 'classic' catalog, put a catalog Lightroom Library.lrlibrary in my user/Pictures folder. It is more than 25 Gb and I really don't want it sitting on my laptop. I've copied it to an external drive. So, can I safely delete it from my laptop Pictures folder? Does Lightroom CC need to know where that catalog is? What's it for? I can't see how to set a location for this catalog in LR CC's preferences.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 26, 2017 Nov 26, 2017

No, at this point in time, you can move the originals to another drive but the Lightroom Library has to be on the boot drive. Hopefully that'll become smarter in future. You might be able to get around it using a symlink, but that would be very unofficial.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Nov 26, 2017 Nov 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, at this point in time, you can move the originals to another drive but the Lightroom Library has to be on the boot drive. Hopefully that'll become smarter in future. You might be able to get around it using a symlink, but that would be very unofficial.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 05, 2020 Apr 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any progress on this option?  I have Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 3.2 installed from the Mac App store.  I never had Lightroom Classic that I had to mitigate.  But, the Lightroom Library.lrlibrary is still taking up 16GB on my boot drive.  If I try to rename or move then my Albums names are visable but there are no photos.

I spoke with Tech Chat on Adobe who said I should not require that file.  When I informed them about above they left to do research for 20 minutes then abruptly ended the chat 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 02, 2021 Feb 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello @Victoria Bampton LR Queen,

Do you know if it is possible to change the location of the Ligthroom Library.lrlibrary on the boot drive? 

I would like to change its location for organizational purposes. 

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 02, 2021 Feb 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

No, it's still not possible to change the location of the Lightroom Library, although I have seen some reports that using a symbolic link to redirect to a different location has been successful, but I have no specific details about that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines