• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can Lightroom be adapted to an offline workflow?

New Here ,
Feb 20, 2020 Feb 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've used Lightroom Classic for a number of years to manage my photo library, and it works reasonably well. However, I've noted that the new version of Lightroom runs much faster and overall feels nicer to use to me, so it would be nice to migrate to it.

I'm running into some issues using it for a non-cloud based workflow though. I realize that it's mainly developed with cloud storage in mind, but I had assumed it would at least be possible to use it with locally stored photos only even though some features might be missing.

Currently, I have a smaller system drive (where Windows and Lightroom are installed), and a larger secondary hard drive that contains my photos occupying about 1TB.

In Lightroom Classic, I can simply import those photos to my library, they will remain in place, and it all works without issues. In Lightroom, if I attempt to do the same, suddenly my system drive loses all its remaining storage space. At first I was assuming that Lightroom copied over all photos so its own folders, which would be a frustration in its own right - but it seems like what's actually happening is that it's storing them temporarily until it can successfully sync them to the cloud.

This would be fine, except I only have 100GB of cloud storage on my CC plan and can't afford an extra TB - meaning that I simply keep syncing paused at all times. I don't mind this in itself, but it seems to result in this temporary file on my system drive filling up when trying to import my terabyte of pictures. I have tried the two local file-related settings but none seem to do much of consequence.

Is there any way I can set up Lightroom to work well with a large library of local files only, or is it not built at all for this purpose?

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 20, 2020 Feb 20, 2020

It's explicitly built as a cloud-dependent application. While it can work offline, this is only designed for temporary periods when you're offline. You're really wasting your time trying to fight it!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's explicitly built as a cloud-dependent application. While it can work offline, this is only designed for temporary periods when you're offline. You're really wasting your time trying to fight it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for the response - I had suspected this was the case so it's good to know. I'll probably just stick to Lightroom Classic until I can afford a larger cloud storage plan.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines