• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can LR 3.4 organize photos on an external drive?

New Here ,
Aug 22, 2020 Aug 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I hope I can clearly express what I'm thinking.

I'm brand new to LR 3.4 (Mac) and I've just downloaded it for the trial period.

I have an external drive with several thousands photos on it. I've spent a lot of time manually (without LR) creating folders, moving files and organizing it, however, there are still several thousand more photos to go through.  I've been trying out different Photo Management software, and I liked all of the different ways to search and organize that LR seems to offer, however, now that I'm trying it, I seem to be stuck.

Question:

Can LR 3.4 just be used to physically move and organize photos on an external drive?

I've found different options to move files on google, but they all point to a "library module" that shows a file/folder tree, but I can't seem to find that in LR.  I also found drag and drop answers, but again, I can't seem to locate the drive or folder that I'd like to move them to.  The only time I can see my external drive is when I want to import something.  

I would love to be able to add keywords and tags and faces and then physically organize if possible.

thanks

EDIT:  I removed LR 3.4 and installed LR Classic.  That seems to be able to do what I need.  However, does anyone know if that's possible with LR 3.4 or just LR Classic?

thanks again

matt

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 22, 2020 Aug 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Only Classic allows you to organise using folders on local drives. Lightroom 3.4 is the version that predominately uses cloud-based storage, and whilst it is possible to have a local copy of the cloud images you have no organising ability with that local copy. Lightroom stores the copies in date-based folders which cannot be manipulated by the user.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 23, 2020 Aug 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Jim_Wilde

Thank you.

Matt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines