Highlighted

Can't find the local original files where they should be

Community Beginner ,
May 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a Windows 10 laptop with Lightroom (CC) installed.  I've imported about 20,000 photos and they have all uploaded to the cloud.  In Edit > Preferences > Local storage I checked the "Store a copy of all originals at the specified location".   I did not check the "Store a copy of all Smart previews on C:"  I set the cache size to 50% of free space.  It shows about 250Gb required space.  I did all this at least three months ago.  Cloud storage says "Synced and backed up" and shows about 219Gb used.

1) I want to backup my originals and other information (catalog?) to an external drive.  When I look at the "Storage location for originals:" and click the Browse button it opens a folder at the specified location: "C:\Users\[MyName]\AppData\Local\Adobe\Lightroom CC\Data".  But if I open Windows File Explorer and browse to that location there is no Lightroom CC folder.  (I have "Show hidden folders" and "Show system files" turned on in File Explorer.)  If I try to find it by copying and pasting the path from Lightroom to File Explorer I get an error saying it can't find it.  After a lot of looking I think I found it in C:\Users\[MyName]\AppData\Local\Packages\Ad0beSystemsIncorporated.AdobeLightroom_ynb6jyjzte8ga\LocalCache\Local\Adobe\Lightroom CC .  (I had to put a "0" in the path because the forum editor won't allow "Ad0beSystems" in the body text with a "o" for whatever reason.)  The size of the folder matches the size shown in Lightroom Preferences; 250Gb.  Is this path confusion something caused by Windows 10 voodoo?  Is Adobe intentionally hiding the location?  It does not give me a good feeling about knowing where my stuff is all the time for backup purposes.

2) Will I get any performance improvement by moving the originals location to somewhere with a shorter path?  Assuming it will really move the photos.

3)  Will I get better performance if I turn on "Store a copy of all Smart previews on C:" even though I have the originals local?

4)  When I am in Lightroom scrolling through the photos in Detail view using the track pad it will stall for awhile and usually skip photos, this seems to be worse with raw photos.  If I scroll to a video it will stop scrolling completely with the track pad.  The arrow buttons and mouse wheel work ok.  I don't have a problem with the track pad in any other situation, only Lightroom.  Editing is responsive and quick enough but just browsing through the photos is a pain.

Thanks for your help.

TOPICS
Bug, Performance, Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Can't find the local original files where they should be

Community Beginner ,
May 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a Windows 10 laptop with Lightroom (CC) installed.  I've imported about 20,000 photos and they have all uploaded to the cloud.  In Edit > Preferences > Local storage I checked the "Store a copy of all originals at the specified location".   I did not check the "Store a copy of all Smart previews on C:"  I set the cache size to 50% of free space.  It shows about 250Gb required space.  I did all this at least three months ago.  Cloud storage says "Synced and backed up" and shows about 219Gb used.

1) I want to backup my originals and other information (catalog?) to an external drive.  When I look at the "Storage location for originals:" and click the Browse button it opens a folder at the specified location: "C:\Users\[MyName]\AppData\Local\Adobe\Lightroom CC\Data".  But if I open Windows File Explorer and browse to that location there is no Lightroom CC folder.  (I have "Show hidden folders" and "Show system files" turned on in File Explorer.)  If I try to find it by copying and pasting the path from Lightroom to File Explorer I get an error saying it can't find it.  After a lot of looking I think I found it in C:\Users\[MyName]\AppData\Local\Packages\Ad0beSystemsIncorporated.AdobeLightroom_ynb6jyjzte8ga\LocalCache\Local\Adobe\Lightroom CC .  (I had to put a "0" in the path because the forum editor won't allow "Ad0beSystems" in the body text with a "o" for whatever reason.)  The size of the folder matches the size shown in Lightroom Preferences; 250Gb.  Is this path confusion something caused by Windows 10 voodoo?  Is Adobe intentionally hiding the location?  It does not give me a good feeling about knowing where my stuff is all the time for backup purposes.

2) Will I get any performance improvement by moving the originals location to somewhere with a shorter path?  Assuming it will really move the photos.

3)  Will I get better performance if I turn on "Store a copy of all Smart previews on C:" even though I have the originals local?

4)  When I am in Lightroom scrolling through the photos in Detail view using the track pad it will stall for awhile and usually skip photos, this seems to be worse with raw photos.  If I scroll to a video it will stop scrolling completely with the track pad.  The arrow buttons and mouse wheel work ok.  I don't have a problem with the track pad in any other situation, only Lightroom.  Editing is responsive and quick enough but just browsing through the photos is a pain.

Thanks for your help.

TOPICS
Bug, Performance, Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
May 01, 2020 0

Have something to add?