• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't open Lightroom because storage is full and can't change the settings to store on hard-drive

New Here ,
Jan 06, 2020 Jan 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone!

I've imported 200gb of photos into my Lightroom from my harddrive. Apparently Lightroom saves temporary files on my laptop instead of my harddrive. Now the storage on my laptop is full because of that.

I want to change the settings into where Lightroom stores the previews on my harddrive where there is enough space but I can't open Lightroom because I don't have enough space. I can't delete anything from my laptop because it's all just programs. 

It's a storage loop! 

How to get out of it? 😮 Does anyone know?

Help is much appreciated! 

Cheers

{Thread renamed by moderator}

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 08, 2020 Jan 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

As Lightroom is taking up space on the laptop, could you please let us know the version of Lightroom you're working on?

Please have a look at this video and let us know if it helps: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZAUP_KcaQE

Regards,
Sahil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 08, 2020 Jan 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are using the Cloud Based Lightroom then yes indeed, the application does make a copy in it's local catalog before it uploads to the Cloud. After a while and depending on your cache settings in preferences these local files will be replaced with others.

With that in mind, with a large batch import there won't be time to replace files that have previously been imported.

So the usual recommendation if to split the photos into smaller batches for importing. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 13, 2020 Jan 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks guys! All good now. I did a save restart on my mac so I was able to get rid of some cache and moved the catalog to my harddrive. Solved!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines