• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cloud and Lightroom CC - Cloud only for Backup?

New Here ,
Oct 27, 2017 Oct 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi
I have a laptop only with small 256GB SSD drive. Now I'm think about to buy Lightroom CC but I'm not sure if I can uns the Adobe Cloud only for Backup without automatic synchronisation.

I'll save all RAW File after fotoshooting locally, work on them with lightroom, save JPGs locally.After that I like to move all RAWs from Disk into cloud and delete them from local drive. Is that possible? I thought Adobe Cloud is always syncronising local drive (directory) with cloud. At the end I only like to have small selection of JPG locally on laptop.

BR Reiner

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Oct 28, 2017 Oct 28, 2017

Any files imported into Lr CC will be sent to the clould. So there will be some temporary use of your SSD to copy your raw files but once the photos are in the cloud they automatically drop out of the Cache after a few days.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom CC will work exactly as you need. You can manually add images to LR CC and then have them available to your through the LR Mobile App or even LR browser APP.  You don't need to automatically sync anything if you don't want.

You can take all your photos, sync the ones you want saved to the LR Cloud and then remove them from your hard drive or out them where ever you want and they will remain in LR Cloud unless you actually delete them from the cloud.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi BR,

When you say ‘work on them with lightroom’, do you mean the new LrCC? If so they will already be syncing/synced to the Cloud.

Just wanted to make sure you didn’t mean Lr Classic? Because if sync is on in Classic, anything in LrCC/the Cloud would start downloading to your hard disc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't use Classic so I can't say how that effects anything. You can do the basic editing in LR CC. It isn't nearly as full featured as Classic though so keep that in mind.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 28, 2017 Oct 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure if understand it correctly, Lightroom Classic CC has more features then LR CC?
What I don't like is, that data will be syncronized automaticly. I like to move data manually from disc to cloud.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any files imported into Lr CC will be sent to the clould. So there will be some temporary use of your SSD to copy your raw files but once the photos are in the cloud they automatically drop out of the Cache after a few days.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 04, 2017 Nov 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the photos aren't used for awhile, do they drop out of the cache, but remain in the cloud storage, so there is no back up necessary on our home computer or storage?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 04, 2017 Nov 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

wrote

If the photos aren't used for awhile, do they drop out of the cache, but remain in the cloud storage, so there is no back up necessary on our home computer or storage?

Yes that's correct. The masters are stored in the cloud and Lightroom CC dynamically allocates which images it stores a local copy of for quick access mostly based on how long ago it was last accessed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 26, 2018 May 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Concerning backups, something could happen to Adobe servers.  Just like if you had your pictures on a local hard drive or NAS.  Unless Adobe is stating they do daily backups and a way to restore files, you have no backups.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 13, 2020 Feb 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I so agree with that jspoon.

Lightroom CC is the only? cloud-based photo editor and part of the subscription must be for the storage.

It seems to me we should know just how safe and reliable the Adobe servers are. I'm sure I'm not the only one considering using the Lr Cloud as off-site storage as well as for it's mobile abilities..

Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 13, 2020 Feb 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It's always a consideration but most large organisations will have in-built redundancy perhaps across multiple data centres. I'm sure my own backups would have no value if my house burnt down!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At the moment I work still with LR 6.12. Like to buy new LR CC (not Classic).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines